Saturday, November 25, 2017

Enhanced

I have had possession of Jim's loose leaf binders containing his genealogy research since shortly after his death.  In the past couple of weeks I have been looking for old photos and recently I looked into his binders thinking perhaps of posting some of his genealogy related photos.

I came across a section in one of the binders of original photos, not modern reprints, the original stuff.  I think we have seen these before but I don't know if the note from Richard to Conrad has ever been digitized before.  I had to scan it and then use an enhancement program that I have to improve the contrast to make the writing legible on screen.

This is the front side of a post card.  Left to right, Hansine, oldest child Lillie, Richard.
This is the backside, barely legible even in the original but it is a note headed Yellow Lake Wis, 5/8/15 beginning Dear Brother Conrad.
 I was able to enhance the contrast.
I received your card some time ago.  Was glad to hear from you.  We are all well hope you are the same. I see you have bought the man out that you worked for.  I'm sending a picture of our oldest girl and our self.  We have we have a baby girl 2 mounts old its going some isen't it with regards from us both.     Brother Richard

This one was taken perhaps the same day.  Hansine has the same dress on and I think Lillie does too.  Richard has removed his jacket but is wearing shirt and tie, the same rolled up trousers and what is probably the same hat.
Left to right, Minda, what must have been their prize cow, Hansine, Richard and Lillie.

We know Conrad wasn't there as Richard sent him a copy of the other photograph taken that day so the shadow of the photographer strikes me as most likely Jake.

As I said, these are both original prints, very ancient.  It is a pleasure to put them both into digital form.

3 comments:

Santini said...

Jim sent me copies of the photos, but I have never seen the post card ..Veryq cool thing to have. Consider posting it on Facebook.

Santini said...

It's interesting to put those addresses into google maps. They still exist.

BDE said...

Incredible photos and text.