Wednesday, November 22, 2017

An old photo from each side of the tree and a bonus

My scanner got to run again today after I looked through the old photo albums.

The first is George E. aka Fritz and his brother Charles Miller.  The note on the back estimates the year as about 1884.
 These are the six surviving (of eight) children of August B. Anderson.
Back row:  Richard (born 1877) and Conrad (1879).
Front row:  Frank (1865 in Sweden), Augusta (Lidbom, 1863 Sweden), Mathilde (1871, the second to be named Mathilde, her sister born in 1861 in Sweden, died here, possibly of diptheria in 1871), and Hanna (Erickson, 1874, the second to be named Hanna, her sister born in 1868 in Sweden died here in 1871 shortly after her older sister).

Richard looks about 18 or so to me, I estimate the photo to be 1895.

Lillie, born 1913.
I am going to guess 1917 for the photo.

I got a couple of other scanned gems but I also have at least one more Wednesday.

4 comments:

Santini said...

Gems.

Fritz is our grandfather, if I have that right. Oddly, Nikki and TJ called today about a family history question involving someone who was injured in the Civil War. My recollection is he was a generation earlier than the people in this photo, and also named Charles.

Richard was a pretty good looking guy. I can see some family resemblance here and there, but different mothers probably make that less pronounced.

Cool photo of Mom. All dressed up with a ribbon in her hair, and lace on the hem of her dress. Possibly a locket? Thanks for posting these, it's always fun to see these old photos.

Gino said...

Fritz is our grandfather (as is Richard). I believe Charles (and Conrad) died, as we say in my line of work, without producing issue. Fritz proceeded to name his first two children after himself and his brother, George and Charles.

Indeed a locket and a ribbon in her hair with a possibly matching ribbon as a belt around her waist.

I'll look at Jim's book for information about the Civil War.

Gino said...

George Miller (Grossvater) and his wife Harriet had at least 6 children. The oldest was William W. (Will) born in 1845 in Ohio. Their second child was George Lafayette, our great-grandfather (born 1848 in Indiana).

Jim's book on a time line for GL states that GL's father (Grossvater) left the family in 1860 to return to Indiana.

Grossvater's oldest son, Will Miller enlisted in the Grand Army of the Republic (GAR) in August 1861 at age 16. He served in Company D 18th Wisconsin Infantry in the Army of the West under Grant and later Sherman. He was wounded and mustered out July 1865. His residence at enlistment was Readstown, Vernon County, Wisconsin.

Santini said...

Thanks for that information, I'll pass it along to TJ and Nikki. Will, not Charles was the Civil War veteran -- I should have remembered that.