Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Turf envy

*sigh*

Today was another one of those days where it was very pleasant all day long until . . .

At about 4:15, just before I got off work, thunder made its appearance. By 4:20 or so it was pouring rain. Rain photographs a little bit better when it is raining really hard.I could have ridden at nearly any time during the time I was at work and instead my ride got wiped . . .

Ooops. I don't actually work any more.

It WAS a nice day with temperatures only slightly below normal, about enough below normal for late July to make for a really nice day. It was so nice that someone organized a children's bicycle outing to Sucker Lake.That's actually pretty cool because that spot is at least a half mile from anyplace that you can get to in a motor vehicle. So someone who rides her bicycle (and I am willing to bet it was a her) enough to be aware of this spot organized an event where lots of kids rode out there for what it looked like to me was a fun time for all.

Our school district about 10 years ago spent, IIRC, $1.5 million or so on extensive work on the football stadium at the high school. That was the project that produced the blue thing.

Shortly thereafter other suburban high schools started installing artificial turf on their fields. It started, again IIRC, mostly in the tony western suburbs but recently spread over to our side of town with an installation at our neighbor and arch rival, Mounds View. Our high school developed a powerful case of turf envy which is in the process of being scratched.Anyone who lives in an affluent suburban school district can expect that this will soon be happening at the high school nearest to where they live. I include in this forecast, oh say for example, South Ottawa County in Michigan, plus in Minnesota Lakeville, all of the schools in the Anoka-Hennepin district (Anoka, Blaine, Coon Rapids and Andover), the other school in the Mounds View district (Irondale) but I think maybe not Stillwater. They really, really love their grass field in Stillwater.

Today's ride moved me past 2,000 miles this bike this year. I am on pace for perhaps the most miles in July in a year in which I did not ride TRAM. The other interesting thing is that my bicycle and my car are currently in the same thousand in mileage, 16,xxx. The car will soon turn 17 and it's going to take some doing to get the bicycle there but it is still fun for now.

1 comment:

Santini said...

You're not quite done working yet, if I recall correctly.

I remember the 'blue thing' and what was the deal with the blue thing, anyway?

Yeah, those three July's are pretty much out of reach for me, too. Congrats on the 2,000 miles on your very nice LOOK this year.