Sunday, July 19, 2009

Starting to realize that we will be in Michigan soon

After a couple of days when the standards of acceptability for July were seriously violated today returned to the normal parameters. It was still cool at dawn but the clouds had parted and the sun started to shine. I commented to TOPWLH that it is July, if the sun is out it just isn't going to remain in the 60s for long. It took until nearly noon but 70s returned and a spectacularly nice July afternoon eventually occurred.

We watched the Contador show on Versus and then rooted for the old guy in the glof. Yes, I do mean glof, that's the way I say it. When the old guy chunked his second on the 3rd playoff hole, not getting the ball out of the rough, we headed for the road.

It was still a tiny bit cool but quickly enough it was just fine and 2:30 or so at Vadnais looked like this:For some reason she took her helmet off.

There is new pavement on Rice Street on an underpass where we have both discovered that we can accelerate down into the bottom and hold the speed all the way to the top coming back out, resulting in excellent uphill speeds which today were 18 mph. We like that on the uphill. It makes us feel strong, it makes us feel fast.

We also had an extended period on Hamline after the four way stop at County B where the pavement is good and a slight downhill is followed by a false flat that we both can hammer, 18 mph again. Mind you, 18 mph without particular strain, just a good solid effort producing good solid results.

We stopped at the corn field for the obligatory photo. The corn continues to grow and because it is so tall, today GRider stood closer to the edge of the field.For comparison, here is the same corn field photographed on Memorial Day. What a difference six weeks makes.The next step is for the corn to tassel out and start to form cobs. There is no sign of that today in the farm field but for the second week in a row we had sweet corn from the girl who sells vegetables on Sundays at the hardware store parking lot. Last fall when asked she reported that she will be there on summer Sundays "as long as Grandpa wants" to keep growing the vegetables that she sells. The corn was very, very good.

We have a chokecherry tree/bush in our back yard. Usually the birds get the berries/cherries way before I even notice but today I noticed. Here is a picture to prove that we have fruit growing in our back yard.This is perhaps important because some may know that we have an apple tree which has never produced apples.

Fruit is an appropriate subject at this point. I recently saw a Yahoo news article on "How to Open a Banana Like a Monkey". The guy in the video comments that his whole adult life he never knew the right way to open a banana. But in the video he shows how and now I do too. I exposed TOPWLH to the technique earlier today.

She tried it. Later on she came by where I was sitting on the deck. With the appropriate fruit in her hands she asked me if I knew how monkeys open an apricot.

7 comments:

gfr said...

Video, even. Fatcyclist had a post a few years back about how to open bananas from the other end.

The COTU are getting exciting about the upcoming visit from 'the family.' Counting down, as it were.

Jimi said...

Good tip on bananas. I wonder why I never tried the other end. It's never too late to teach an old dog a new trick.

BB's apricot question made me guffaw. TT

Anonymous said...

Ah-ha, a way I can be of assistance. Unless you already know this info and don't care because you like your barren apple tree. Please see the following link and go to: "Simple Steps to Productive Apple Trees" (Hint: it's lonely)

http://www.extension.umn.edu/projects/yardandgarden/YGLNews/YGLNewsMay12009.html#art2

good luck, jilrubia

Anonymous said...

Not sure if that cut off the link, here's a shorter version. Go to the May 1st, 2009 issue.

http://www.extension.umn.edu/garden
info/ygnews/pastissues2009.html

Anonymous said...

Hi !.
You may , perhaps very interested to know how one can make real money .
There is no initial capital needed You may commense to get income with as small sum of money as 20-100 dollars.

AimTrust is what you need
The company represents an offshore structure with advanced asset management technologies in production and delivery of pipes for oil and gas.

Its head office is in Panama with structures around the world.
Do you want to become a happy investor?
That`s your chance That`s what you really need!

I feel good, I began to take up real money with the help of this company,
and I invite you to do the same. It`s all about how to choose a correct partner who uses your funds in a right way - that`s it!.
I make 2G daily, and what I started with was a funny sum of 500 bucks!
It`s easy to start , just click this link http://syhonemiby.freewebsitehosting.com/ohuxih.html
and lucky you`re! Let`s take our chance together to become rich

Anonymous said...

Hi there!
I would like to burn a theme at here. There is such a nicey, called HYIP, or High Yield Investment Program. It reminds of financial piramyde, but in rare cases one may happen to meet a company that really pays up to 2% daily not on invested money, but from real profits.

For several years , I make money with the help of these programs.
I'm with no money problems now, but there are heights that must be conquered . I get now up to 2G a day , and my first investment was 500 dollars only.
Right now, I managed to catch a guaranteed variant to make a sharp rise . Turn to my blog to get additional info.

http://theblogmoney.com

Anonymous said...

Hi!
You may probably be very curious to know how one can make real money on investments.
There is no need to invest much at first.
You may commense earning with a money that usually goes
on daily food, that's 20-100 dollars.
I have been participating in one company's work for several years,
and I'll be glad to let you know my secrets at my blog.

Please visit blog and send me private message to get the info.

P.S. I make 1000-2000 per daily now.

[url=http://theinvestblog.com] Online investment blog[/url]