Friday, July 24, 2009

Notes on walking and riding

I am discovering that middle of the day bicycle rides leave me a little bit restless as sundown approaches. I have begun taking an occasional walk around the neighborhood as the day winds down. I like this, this is what I meant when I said I needed more time for myself than working allowed me to have. I don't want to have all of my eggs in that one bicycling basket, I am glad to be out walking around. Last night I walked up to a yard that I have photographed a couple of times while bicycling and took a walking picture.The yard has been photographed a couple of times before, but as with the yard's second appearance, the flowers are in a different state of bloom and provide a new view.

We had overnight rain again. Wireless had planned to bring her bicycle (Bianchi Eros) over and ride with us. However, during the times when she and we were available either rain was still falling or/and the streets were still wet. But it cleared nicely and I can report, just having spoken to her on the land line, that we both ended up having nice even if totally separate rides.

Mine went north to a perhaps predictable location. I love the ride to Lake Vadnais, the distance is right, I know the hills well, I know the streets well, I can easily gauge my effort. But I love the ride because it is a little bit different every time and each and every time it is a scenic delight.

Today when I rode through Vadnais I spotted an egret.I rode on and shortly thereafter had a nice moment with a young person on a, believe it or not, blue Bianchi. He was on a long ride and initially rode up next to me to ask directions but stayed to discuss bicycles. He was impressed by the LOOK, saying that his personal favorite bicycle ever is a LOOK 585, a successor frame to the 381i that I ride. It was nice, he was a racer, not racer boy, he was polite, not abrupt, it was nice. Eventually I gave him the directions he needed and he powered away, much stronger, much faster than I.

Anybody have any idea what this is?There is a pretty large plot of this growing in the agricultural experiment station. I know that I grew up in a small town and worked on a farm as a teenager and that I masquerade as a farm expert, but, (blush) I have no idea. It isn't planted in rows, it looks to me like it might be a forage plant intended to be harvested and baled a la alfalfa, clover or timothy for winter cattle feed. All I can say with certainty is that it isn't alfalfa, clover or timothy.

Anybody have any idea what this is?I have ridden past this many times as it is parked in a driveway within a mile of my house. Today for the first time I noticed that it is a Wellcraft. It appears to be a 230 Suncruiser and it also has a decal advertising Vuarnet France, which I believe are sunglasses?

I am pretty sure it isn't the Scarob Sport with the twin Yamaha 300s that I have been instructed by Wireless to describe when anyone asks me about the Wellcraft hat she gave me and that I wear. Ask her.

This year's TdF draws to a close. The race for the yellow never had any drama and even worse, the winner looks to me to be unworthy. Even so, it has been a great race, a great spectacle. The race for the green jersey has been a classic, the race for the spotty has been a worthy display by a worthy champion. France has, as usual, been spectacular. Tomorrow's stage features the Giant of Provence, the extremely difficult climb of Mont Ventoux. Forget not that on one occasion a rider in le Tour died while attempting to climb this monster. Tomorrow promises to be another great spectacle, a good morning of television.

3 comments:

Santini said...

"Commentator Phil Ligget added to this: "Oh Boy - the wind on top of Ventoux is gale force and the big trucks have had to go back down."

On walking and riding, good on 'ya.

Love the daisies, really nice.

I am clueless on both boats and agriculture.

Nice to meet a polite member of that sub culture on occasion.

Emily M said...

We certainly don't make that boat anymore. And for the record, this is the one I think you should pretend to own: http://www.wellcraft.com/#/114/

It's lovely. As for the mystery plant, I'm not going to be much help, sorry.

Jimi said...

I also do not know what the mystery plant is. I looked at the Ag Extension web site and your plant doesn't seem to match anything that they are owning up to. Maybe it's some exotic kind of bean.

Nice egret shot.

TT