Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Rainy Bastille Day

Bastille Day is the French national holiday, celebrated on 14 July each year. In France, it is called Fête Nationale in official parlance, or as Paul Sherwen pointed out in Tour de France coverage today, more commonly le quatorze juillet.

It rained early here, then again mid-morning and just now is getting ready to do it again. I didn't ride but in honor of the French holiday I did do a bicycle project. Many will know that LOOK is a French manufactured frame, so I have a French bicycle, working on my French bicycle on quatorze juillet seems way appropriate.Any guesses what the project was? Anyone? Bueller? Anyone?

Hint: Another French company is involved.

Later on in the day I discovered a website that was offering live coverage of the national fireworks (or as the website put it, le feu d'artifice) at la Tour Eiffel. I shared the website address with my French interpreter so I am guessing she saw them too. It went pretty well until the counter indicated 20,000 viewers were watching on-line and after that coverage was intermittent.

I went to the gas station today. I last was there on June 16 and had driven 307 miles since then. In the same period of time I have ridden my bicycle 630 miles. I feel strong, sometimes I even feel fast.

1 comment:

Retired Professor said...

Well, I'm not Bueller, but I'll hazard a guess. The orange color coding is a clue? You only ride Michelin rubber, and those tires were blue the last time I saw them.

The joys of summer and retirement. I don't keep track, but I'm certain that I ride a lot more than I drive for several months of the year. Interesting thing to check.