Friday, July 3, 2009

2,014

Today was my 80th ride of the year. As noted recently I have recently raised my average miles per ride above 25 on my way to fulfilling my intention of achieving my mileage goal by having 160 rides averaging 25 miles per ride. Anyone who can do the math will know where today's ride left me in the total miles category.

A perusal of the archives informs me that last year I passed the 2,000 mile mark on the day after July 4. I remember thinking at the time that I was comfortably ahead of schedule to achieve 4,000 miles. Having passed 2,000 miles two days earlier this year I have without any problem convinced myself that I am on, and in fact, ahead of schedule.

There was an article in yesterday's Pioneer Press newspaper (remember newspapers?) about low water in Snail Lake. Every ride to Lake Vadnais takes me past Snail Lake and I had not really noticed the problem so today with the Guest Rider in tow I set out to form my own impressions about the water level of Snail Lake.

The newspaper reported that the lake's water level is down 5 feet from normal, a problem in a lake where large areas of the lake are only 6 feet deep to begin with. Here is a photo from near the public water access boat ramp at the south end of the lake, in Snail Lake Park.It looks to me like you could still launch your boat into that little puddle at the end of the ramp but admittedly you would then have problems getting over the earth dam between the little puddle and the actual lake. Also, according to that sign there is no fishing from that dock. That seems obvious given that you would have to be a fairly proficient long caster to get a line from the end of the dock into the lake. Unless, of course, you want to fish in that little puddle.

I have also read in the newspaper lately stories about low water in the Great Lakes. I think Snail Lake is down a fair amount more than Huron-Michigan.

We rode in the late morning as rain seems possible this afternoon. Based on lawns it seems dry here but apparently we have had enough rain for the crops as evidenced by the slightly more than knee high for the 4th of July corn.Guest Rider for comic effect.

2 comments:

santini said...

Huron-Michigan is UP a LOT from last year, and every year for the last several -- TOPWLH would know, but I'll guess about 8. Low water gets defined is some very funny ways by the Army Corps --

Nice corn!

gfr said...

Also, nice miles!