Tuesday, July 7, 2009

Really good legs AGAIN!

I got a tiny bit of a late start today. I didn't really have time to check the latest weather channel information on wind direction and instead decided to rely on a loop in the neighborhood to figure out where the head wind was. I was still a little confused even after completing the legs in each of the cardinal directions. I finally decided that there wasn't much wind and just went ahead and headed north, often the path of least resistance. I surprised myself by having really good legs for the second day in a row. In fact, today was the highest average speed for any ride this year. I have carefully reviewed the training log and I conclude that the reason why I am experiencing this spate of really good legs must be traceable to the only recent major deviation from the regular routine, the four hot dogs at the track on the 4th of July.

I was riding down Hamline minding my own business when a bicycle bell attracted my attention. It was Joe, one of the mechanics/assistant managers from County Cycles. Anyone who believes that bicycle bells are not macho enough should keep in mind that Joe doesn't own a car, he commutes to work every single day of the year on a bicycle. Joe says, "Everyone who rides is in my family." I gave Joe a wave and a "Hey", nice to see you, Joe.

As I neared the end of my ride I thought the light started to assume a really interesting quality. I was close enough that I decided to photograph my friends, the cows, in the late afternoon, mostly cloudy sky, July in Minnesota daylight.I missed the live broadcast of the Tour again today but followed it on VeloNews. I am watching the taped coverage now and I must say, the entertainment value of all those guys falling off their bicycles is pretty high. Montpellier looks pretty interesting and that aqueduct is simply spectacular.

3 comments:

T. Tousan said...

If it's the dogs, then Gus should enter the TdF.
TT

Retired Professor said...

Those cows are still very cool.

Emily M said...

Ah, County Cycles. I will never not find the "Gene's your uncle?" story funny. :-)

Moo.