Saturday, July 11, 2009

Off road

It was pretty cool this morning at the moment that Versus coverage of today's Tour de France stage ended. A fairly brisk breeze was blowing out of the WNW. The weather channels I trust reported a temperature of 68 but promised 76 by 1pm so I gave it a shot. The wind was quite cool and I ended up deviating from my more or less standard routes. I rode all the way out to Highway 96, nothing new there, but the temperatures didn't rise as promised. It was still a bit uncomfortable into the wind at this point so I didn't want to ride too far east as I didn't relish riding back into the cold breeze. I decided on a more direct route even though the route took me through Grass Lake and onto a dirt trail. I decided that if the boys from Bouyges can ride time trial bikes off road that I could do the same with my road bike.

French translation requested. I got a little of it, I know they are talking about BBox Bougues Telecomm but, really, what else would they be discussing as Voeckler's team deviates from the prescribed route.

Grass Lake is part of the same chain of lakes that includes Snail Lake so I suspected that the water level of Grass Lake would be low. It was quite a bit lower than I expected though, rendering Grass Lake almost into Grass Field.There was only one dicey moment on the trail as the north end had a bit too much loose gravel, forcing me off the path onto the grass. But mostly it was fine, more hard packed dirt than gravel, and plenty dry and firm.My favorite moment from today's stage was that moment when Cavendish, clad head to mid-thigh, including sunglasses, totally in green, rode across the finish line just after the new green jersey for the new leader of that competition was awarded to the God of Thunder. Paul and Phil commented that perhaps Cavendish could see the presentation ceremony from the seat of his bicycle. Hushovd may now lead but that competition, like the yellow jersey competition is far from over.

The most interesting moment in the GC race came when Andy Schleck attacked the peleton on the final climb of the day. Christian Vande Velde in a post race interview provided the perspective on that move that the TV commentators failed to give. Vande Velde said that Schleck's team, Saxo Bank, wanted to move the yellow onto the shoulders of Astana in an attempt to put pressure on that team with a view to cracking them in the last week of the race. Schleck attacked with the intention of dropping the yellow jersey and succeeded. However, Astana covered Schleck's attack, and once back in control of the peloton they slowed the pace back down to a pace at which the race leader was able to return to the group.

In his post race column, Liggett reported that Andy Schleck says he's not overly impressed by Alberto Contador so far. Schleck says his climbing style is more suited to the Alps and that he can't wait for the Alps as he intends to try to crush the race. In order to do that he (and everyone else) needs to try and weaken Astana.

It seems apparent based on yesterday's post stage comments from both Armstrong and Bruyneel and also based on the tactics ridden today by Astana that Astana will be riding for Armstrong if he is strong enough, that the talk of riding for the strongest rider is conditional. They will ride for Contador if Armstrong is not strong enough but it looks to me to be pretty clear that Armstrong is first among equals.

Schleck thinks he can better Contador. Apparently Armstrong thinks the same.

I loved the comment made by Sherwen, "There are still three Sundays to go." The race is far from over.

1 comment:

Retired Professor said...

Your race report and explanations are better Phil and crew. Nice perspective. "It ain't over 'til it's over," still applies.