Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Rain doesn't seem to photograph very well

It rained a bit over night and then with pretty impressive intensity at about dawn this morning. I was up and about for this as I had set the alarm and was up and watching when Versus went live at 5:30am local time with the roll out and kilometer zero of today's stage of the Tour de France. I spent the morning watching another episode of the Contador show. The streets were still quite wet even after the stage ended. TOPWLH and I considered the Farmers Market but apparently rain discourages them too, as when we investigated we found no damn farmers, no damn market.

The skies continued to look threatening for most of the afternoon but the truth is that there was a longish period in there when I could have ridden and if I were more manic about the need to ride, as I always was when I worked at the DNR, I probably would have given it a shot. Instead I completed some other tasks that needed completion. OK, I took a nap. I needed a nap, see above about my rising time.

But eventually I did get out. I discovered again the interesting phenomena that sometimes no rain here does not necessarily mean no rain there. It was pretty dry on my street but across Snelling it was very wet. In further contrast when I crossed into Saint Paul it seemed completely dry.

I was exploring and trying to stay relatively close to home and at about the 10 mile mark the northwestern sky changed from a possibility, passed through a probability, and had emerged into certainty, it was going to rain again. I made it home, settling today for a one hour and fifteen minute bicycle ride.

Rain doesn't seem to photograph very well but here is a shot from inside my garage out into the yard shortly after the rain begain.But indubitably all things must pass and by 8pm I had completed an in lieu of two mile walk and was coming back across the field for this:We also do not seem to get spectacular sunsets here. I am hopeful of seeing some better ones soon.

1 comment:

Santini said...

Nice referencing -- both of them, though the Vonnegut one caught me by surprise.

Fog doesn't photograph well, either.

Walking?