Wednesday, April 25, 2007

FAQ

What's the deal with the blue thing?It was a pretty uneventful ride until the very end when I achieved an important annual milestone. An important milestone but a negative one.

About once every year I fall off my bike. Today I fell off my bike.

It was actually quite similar to last year's fall off. I was riding in an area which I am pretty familiar with and was paying attention to the wrong things. What I wasn't paying attention to was what was right in front of me. I rode there a couple of days ago and there wasn't any road repair sign on the edge of the pavement anchored by sandbags. Today there was. I hit it.

Once is an accident. Twice is a bad habit. Look where you are going dummy.

But I learned plenty from last year's fall. Last year I grabbed for the cross bar that I ran into, hoping to hold on and to save myself. With no hands on the bars the front wheel jerked abruptly to one side and I went down violently. I ended up with a very deep abrasion of the knee and scrapes on elbow and upper arm. This time I saw the sign too late but I reacted differently and kept my hands on the bars. I rode the bike down. I rolled with it and distinctly felt each impact as I hit on my hip, then my shoulder, and then ever so gently, on the side of my helmeted head. Last year I scrambled up. This year I went ahead and laid there for awhile, accessing my condition and composing myself.

Last year was August and I was dressed in shorts and short sleeves. This year I was fully layered up, tights, long sleeve jersey, jacket. More layers equals more protection as I soon discovered when I got up and started to examine myself and the bike. Riding the bike down is definitely the way to go. I didn't even abrade any of my clothes. The bike did not escape unscathed but suffered only a bit. The right lever impacted the sign and has a scratch and a tiny chip in the carbon. The left lever has a very small scratch. The left rear QR has a bit of a scratch. The human took the rest of the impact. The only big deal was that the impact on my hip apparently applied a strong sideways torque and the seat was twisted badly to the side.

On the first or second ride of the year I thought I felt a bit of a wiggle in the seat but upon testing found it firmly attached. Well, maybe not quite as firmly as I thought. Fortunately I carry a multi-tool with me and the seat was quite easily readjusted. The brakes were fine, the wheels were fine, the pedals were fine.

I rode home, about 4 miles, and along the way found out that the shifting was fine.

I got home, undressed slowly, examining the points of impact. Again, clothes fine, no wounds, no visible bruises.

So I am typing, my left little finger (impact side) hurts a little. My hip hurts a little. But I think I got through the fall without any injury. Knock on wood.

Not looking where you are going and running into something while riding a bicycle? Once is an accident, twice is a bad habit.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Left side is better, if you're going to do this sort of thing. Easier on the drive train. And it makes no difference to your body which side you bruise up.

And I'm sorry my first words were for the bike. I'm sorry you got hurt, glad it wasn't too bad. It takes a while for all the bruises and stiffness to show up. BE MORE CAREFUL.

FAQ is Emily's old high school. And I don't recall that there ever was a satisfactory answer.

Emily M said...

I'm glad to hear you are relatively unscathed. Falling off the bike is never good. But at least you didn't hit a car. I saw someone do that once and it didn't look fun.

What IS the deal with the blue thing? I never did do that newspaper survey... I guess I'll never know.