Thursday, July 2, 2009

Two way strength

Today seemed to be another of the unannounced but widely observed unofficial DNR holiday. When I arrived the parking lot was less than half full. More cars eventually arrived but overall there were more employees missing than present. This is, of course, good for me. There are fewer people to try to get me to take on new tasks. The day passed uneventfully.

The ride after work was refreshing. My more or less standard distance of 26 miles is based, at least in part, on how far I have to ride at my usual average speed to get a more than two hour bicycle ride. Today I got, I think, optimal wind conditions. The wind was light on the way out into the wind and did little to discourage me during that time when my actual strength was at its highest. Then when I turned back the wind seemed to increase raising the level of my illusory strength. The sum total was that I completed my two hour ride in less than two hours. This is unusual but it does occur several times every season so I guess I wouldn't call it rare. But it is not the usual and it is always refreshing.

Here's a picture of library construction. They have torn the top off the front of the building and torn a hole all the way through the main part of the structure.Naturally we in the area served by this library are hopeful that this all bodes well for an improved facility. That of course remains to be seen.

2 comments:

gfr said...

My standard distance for June, and by that I mean average, was 20 miles. Up from 11.5 in January, with an upward sloping curve every month since then. I am, of course, older than you, so with the age differential thing factored in, I ride just as far and just as fast. (Just kidding -- 'good job' is what I really meant.) I love those days when the wind cooperates by being a light headwind on the way out, and strenthens without shifting on the way back. It's rarer than you'd think.

T. Tousan said...

I wonder if the library is another stimulus project? If it's like the tennis courts on St Clair, the project will be late and unpainted.

BTW. My average ride in June was 14 miles. Also my total. I did play some tennis. TT