Thursday, July 9, 2009

The great equalizer

Wind.

Today with a brisk SSE wind I returned to completely mediocre regular strength. *sigh* So much for the hot dog theory.

I rode over into Saint Paul where a tipster had promised that I could find a yard with "spectacular native plantings". Here is is:I am not able to comment on the relative nativity of the plantings but given that the tipster was completely correct about the yard being spectacular I believe I will accept that they are all native. In addition, that small sign near the top of the steps up into the yard identifies the location as a Monarch Waystation. I am impressed, it is indeed spectacular.

Here is another yard that I have pictured before. This one is quite near home. I took another picture today as the state of the various blooms is considerably changed from the last time I posted this yard.Again, exactly how native those plantings are, I do not know. I am willing to say that I like it a lot though, as I find the yard considerably more attractive than monoculture grass.

The Tour de France was fun today as the I got a chance to exclaim, "The God of Thunder" at the end. Tomorrow is the first day in the mountains, the first opportunity to sort out the GC contenders. I think Contador and Armstrong both look very strong. I predict that Leipheimer will fall out of the top 5 as will Cancellara. Beyond that? I guess I will tune in tomorrow to find out. A tip to others watching, something you may not know, as I didn't. Versus.com is streaming the coverage on the net. It is the same coverage you get on TV except there are no commercials so you get uninterrupted coverage.

2 comments:

Retired Professor said...

Lovely yards.

I didn't know about the Versus.com deal. Thanks for the tip.

Wind blows.

lazerquest said...

With the streaming coverage you get to hear Paul Sherwin babble during the commercial breaks, and if you listen very carefully you can hear Phil Liggett in the background welcoming television viewers back from the commercial.

Whatever happens tomorrow it will no doubt require the riders to dig deep into their suitcases of courage.