Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Shorts and short sleeves

I know what average means and the recent run of below average temperatures had to lead to something. And that something was today. I passed through the Fairgrounds at about 3pm on the way home and found the following:

EG:71 CB:69 AO(always optimistic)WG:78.

The morning newspaper reported the average for today to be 64. Many reputable internet sources are currently reporting 73.

The only problem with all of this is that fall brings closely packed isobars. Closely packed isobars means wind. It was windy again today and wind is forecast again for tomorrow.

But we will take the wind if it is going to be in the 70s in October.

I had read and seen internet reports of the flow of water over Minnehaha Falls related to the recent heavy rainfall. Wind conditions pointed me in that direction and since I wanted to see it for myself, I went ahead and made that today's destination.

Along the way I got this shot of the river gorge from the Ford Parkway bridge.It is only a short distance from there to the Falls where I discovered that there continues to be heavy flow over the Falls, as elsewhere reported.I feared that sun conditions might wash that one out, although it turned out fine. But just to be sure I rode down to the end and got this artsy shot back through the foliage.You can cover a lot more ground on a bicycle than you can walking. I find these things everywhere. Here is another orange maple tree.That one is a slightly different species and a slightly different shade of orange. But I rode up close and took a good look and it is definitely a maple. It is on the River Road in Minneapolis near the Minnehaha Academy Lower and Middle School.

A couple of blog update notes. I noticed that October 1 was graffiti theme day for Daily Photo Blogs. It was rain and cold day in Minnesota but today I rode past the most impressive display of graffiti that I see on a regular basis. This is the railroad bridge over I-94 underneath the Pelham Avenue bridge over I-94.I suspect that is the work of many different taggers. It is secluded and the railroad seems to have no interest in cleaning it up. It has been like that for at least several years.

The concern that TCWUTH works for has recently moved into new quarters. Wireless sent me this photo to confirm that the dried fruit collection is intact and has made the move. She has added a couple of things that are purely her own, as she should, she is now the proprietor. But anyone who frequented my work place down at the factory should find plenty of familiar looking objects there.Thanks, Kiddo, the collection appears to be in good hands.

1 comment:

Jimi said...

You do a great job seeking out the orange trees. But like Santini, no grapefruit. Nice picture of the falls, too. TT