Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Limit approaches

The deal with settling on photographing orange leaves as a theme is a self limiting proposition. Obviously the process that produces the orange leaves is very shortly going to produce bare branches. Temperatures today started the slide back towards normal. The morning forecast called for a 20 percent chance of rain. However, by noon the leading edge of the clouds thought to be the source of that rain had broken apart and never arrived here. The air mass that the clouds were leading did arrive. It was 71 when I set out and in a new development, the air got cooler while I was out.

With the end on my mind I set out today still determined to think orange. I had a specific spot in Shoreview in mind, a spot which I hoped would still display orange. I got my photo out there but have not used it for reasons soon to be revealed.

Instead I got this, what your yard looks like if you have several mature oak trees.I am going to go with red for that color, not orange. It is a pretty nice spot. When I took the photo I was standing under another set of mature oaks which decorate the yard across the street.

But not to despair, even as many of the orange are leaving there are still a few in the process of arriving.That's in northwest Roseville only a couple of blocks from this outrageously elaborate yard display.I was all the way back within the city limits of Saint Paul when I came upon a mountain ash. I was seeking this photo in Shoreview but that tree out there was way, way past peak including having already dropped most of its fruit. Here we are near Como Park, orange fruit.But just to prove how close we are to the end here is Albert Street looking north from Frankson in Saint Paul.Mostly bare, but one block over is Sheldon, the street lined with oaks. Sheldon hasn't even started to change color.It was very windy today, almost too windy. It was hard and because the air cooled during the ride. It was cold on the into the wind legs. I ended up being just slightly under dressed. I hate that.

EG:68 CB:65! AOWG:75? Weather channel said 71 when I left, 68 when I got home.

1 comment:

Santini said...

Self limiting themes may be a good thing. They don't last long enough to get old.

You can see the wind in the Halloween decorations. Either that, or that prisoner is really making a break for it.