Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Return of gear

Today was yet another above average day. It was sunny and bright with temperatures above average for this date. However, the cooler air that arrived yesterday meant temperatures only 5 degrees above average in place of the recent run of 15 to 20 degrees above average. It was still very nice.

The morning newspaper reports that the average high for the date has now descended to 60. That means that for most of the day it is expectable that the temperatures be in the 50s. Today when I set out to ride it was 61 and I completed my ride in the low mid-60s (that's code for 63 or 64).

Cooler temperatures means that the near summer costume I have been donning the past several days had to give way to something more suitable for, oh say, late September. This means base layer, arm warmers and my lightest weight jacket. I have the gear, I had no issues, I was totally comfortable.

I rode north but changed the route a bit. Instead of turning and going down the hill along the south side of Snail Lake I continued along Victoria intending to navigate along the west and eventually the north side of the lake. I have done that a couple of times before, usually in the opposite direction, but it is pretty unfamiliar turf.

LOOK what we found:I think that one gets special mention because of the orange bush standing nearby.

But the major discovery is that there is a major apple orchard out there. I did not know that.Nineteen varieties grown and sold on site. I looked it up on Google maps and got the photo view and it is definitely major. So that's something new learned today.

I made it all the way to Highway 96, the usual limit of northern rides and then turned back through Snail Lake Park. I came upon this double reminder notice.That is a reminder that fall is waning and it is a reminder that urban deer are vermin.

I headed off road for the second time this year on my road bike and took the dirt road through Grass Lake. I thought this oak tree was pretty.It hasn't rained much this fall so the road was hard and dry and presented no problems.

It was a gorgeous looking day highlighted by the return of gear.

1 comment:

Retired Professor said...

I love gear.

A little bit of off road can be fun.