Monday, October 4, 2010

LOOK at the flood

Monday is the best day and to ride. This is especially true when Monday is as nice a day as today was. Sunday went away and was followed by a sun day.

It was warm enough that I rode in shorts and for the second half of the ride (the part with the wind at my back) I rode without my windbreaker. Today was warm enough and plenty sunny, another day when being on the fourth floor would not have been right.

I rode down into the city but without the marathon to distract me I today instead tried to get a look at the river flood.

Most of my ride was above the Ford dam so I didn't expect much. I was surprised to find that even up there the river was quite high. I am guessing that the river is so over full further down that they are impounding water behind the dam. They have enough problems with the Minnesota without having the Mississippi contribute even more water.

This is the entrance to Hidden Falls Park at Prior and Mississippi River Boulevard. The park is closed due to the high water.Eventually I got below the dam and got to a place where I could see the river. Here is the confluence of the two big rivers. That's also a park over there and it is obvious why it is that parks on both sides of the river are closed. High water.The water is also quite a bit browner that usual.

From the vantage point where I took the above photo I also got this picture down into the park where you can see the path disappear into the river. That's not the way they drew that up.For context, here is where I was when I took the above photos.Context is important.

1 comment:

Retired Professor said...

Shorts? Send some of that our way, please.