Thursday, October 7, 2010

Habituate

Habituate, that's what I meant. That's what I meant last week when I said that great blue heron had become acclimated to the presence of humans. The behavioral change in that bird has very little to do with climate and and lot to do with habitat. I couldn't think of that word last week but today as I was riding it just popped completely unbidden into my head. Which is, of course, one of the wonderful joys of riding, I can just ride along and let my mind wander. More often than not my mind goes someplace interesting. Today it went to habituate.

I will edit the old post.

Here is an ironic use of a phrase which generally has a negative connotation.I say ironic because that place is a bakery and the eating of cake is an activity favored by and promoted by bakeries. Further, that bakery is in the Seward neighborhood, that's right, today was Minneapolis baby, nowhere near Edina.

I rode over to Lake of the Isles, which come to think of it, is pretty close to Edina.On the way back I rode mostly along 27th Street during the time when I was on the far side of Hiawatha Avenue. My preferred option on this side of that intimidating thoroughfare is 25th Street.

So, things I learned in Minneapolis today:

27th Street is a pretty good alternative.

25th is better than 26th or 24th, better pavement.

The New French Bakery is at 25th and 26th. I think.

The reason for riding off onto city streets on the return from Lake of the Isles was that I wanted to continue a custom that I have of introducing my bicycle to new bike shops. Here is LOOK at Flanders.Flanders is my favorite place to look at overpriced used bicycles, or as they say in Flanders, previously owned. Today in the previously owned section they had a couple of Bianchis, a couple of Specialized, a Ridley, a Scott, two Sevens, a Colnago and a LOOK KG 585. A plethora of high priced bicycles.

I took some interest in the 585 and discovered that its owner has attached an asking price of $4,000. It is a nice bicycle and one that I admire. I am not positive it is my size and would have to ride it to be sure. But why would I? I already have a 585 in my basement that I know fits (I have ridden 2,002 miles on it) and which I am not using right now. But it was nice to find out the value that someone else puts on my current back up bicycle. To be completely fair, the Flanders 585 is equipped with DuraAce while mine has Chorus. DuraAce usually retails for slightly more than Chorus, not much, but slightly more. DuraAce is quality equipment, no argument about that at all. But Chorus is, obviously, my gruppo of choice. All three of my highest quality bicycles are Chorus equipped. Furthermore, my wheelset is superior to the wheelset on the Flanders 585, Mavic Ksyrium ES to Easton aluminum wheels. So, LOOK KG 585 with DuraAce for $4,000? Not interested. I like the one I already have quite a bit better.

Just to prove that I was paying attention, here is today's orange tree. This one is a little overcooked already losing some leaves at the crown. It is located in Minneapolis.All that detouring around while in Minneapolis meant that I had to cut off part of my regular route to avoid compiling too many miles. That hasn't happened in a while. The short cut I took was through the Fairgrounds at about 3pm.

EG:69 CB:68 AOWG:80.

Nice day.

2 comments:

jilrubia said...

What is that about Cake Eaters?? I learned that term early in my elementary school days in Richfield. Even in third grade the boys who played hockey talked about the Edina 'cake eaters'. Always made me want to move to Edina. Nice photos and a beautiful day.

Santini said...

That whole cake eater and Edina thing is a bit of an inside joke, to your out of town readers. Except I know it, of course. I got the Marie Antoinette allusion before I got the Edina thing, though.

Some reallly orange trees.