Sunday, October 24, 2010

Screaming for Vengeance

I can feel the end of the season coming. This is a bicycle blog but I do continue to post stuff even after bicycling has ceased for the year. I can feel that coming as I begin to feel the urge to post extraneous material.

Besides, it rained today, no bicycling.

The whole suggestion of a Green Day cover of "Where Have All the Flowers Gone?" got me to just some mental wandering about and I thought of my personal favorite incongruous cover of a fairly well known song.

Most people of a certain age will recall Joan Baez's 1975 song "Diamonds and Rust". The song is about Joan receiving an out of the blue phone call and then musing about the person who has made the call. Everyone assumes that the caller is Bob Dylan and the time frame of the musing that Joan does is the time when she was already famous and Bob was just becoming famous. I see from the Wikipedia article that Joan now openly acknowledges that the song is about Bob.

Anyone pining for Joan's rendition can follow this link.

It's a folk song, a very soft semi-rocker, acoustic, very, very Joan Baez.

My favorite incongruous cover is by Judas Priest, an act from the other end of the musical performance scale. Apparently it is so widely popular with Priest fans that it is now a staple of nearly every performance by the group.

Here then, not "Where Have All the Flowers Gone?" by Green Day, but a live performance at the Mid-South Coliseum in Memphis, Tennesee, on December 12, 1982, on their Screaming for Vengeance tour, the Judas Priest version of "Diamonds and Rust:

3 comments:

top said...

Wow. And I was not going to listen. Judas Priest doing my favorite Joan Baez song?! It brought me to my feet, dancing then clapping. This is now my favorite version.

Former dune dweller said...

Next you'll be telling me that Bob Dylan sang Donna Donna.

Jimi said...

A great performance by Judas Priest of one of my favorite folky songs - they make it work, as unlikely as that is. Lots of places in the performance for appreciative laughs. And no tears at "I already paid."
TT