Friday, October 8, 2010

In which this orange tree thing careens out of control

On a day with a new record high temperature I had enough time for a bicycle ride. I headed down into the city again. There has been some controversy down there about markings for a bicycle lane on Jefferson Avenue and much like the flood, this was something I wanted to see for myself.

I got distracted by some orange trees as I rode past the University President's residence. I got a photo but then I saw some more up the street so I rode up there and then I saw some more a bit farther up the street and . . .

Eventually I ended up at Dayton and Wilder for this shot. I thought this particular orange tree was distinguished by the swell display another tree was making in the background.As long as I was headed over to Jefferson I planned my route to take me along Prior so I could introduce LOOK to another bicycle shop. Here is LOOK at Grand Performance.Grand Performance is a serious shop, they sponsor the Saint Paul Bicycle Racing Club. That store has always, for the time I have owned a Bianchi, featured Bianchi as their primary brand. You know that they are serious about Bianchi when the store front is painted celeste.

The controversy over on Jefferson is that the street was designated as a bike route over the objection of some of the residents. Apparently they felt that they already had enough bicycles and that an official designation would increase the unwelcome infestation. The agreement made was that the route would be designated but that the usual street markings would not be painted. A mistake was made, the markings were painted on the street. Two wrongs ended up making a right as the city crews returned and painted over the signs on the street. This is what I wanted to see for myself.In person you can still sorta see the outline of the painted designation. A look at the street reveals all you need to know about why the designation or lack of designation is of little consequence. The street is technically a through street but it is lightly traveled and pleasant and you can actually use that street to get to places you might want to go. Lots of bicyclists are going to use that street whether it is a designated bike route or not.

I once heard someone describe the "electric experience of being on campus in the fall". It is definitely fall and there was a campus in my way as I headed for home so I stopped and photographed an orange tree.It is very pretty, very serene, almost all college campuses are. I felt that serenity but I didn't get much of anything in the way of a buzz of electricity. Actually, I think the person who made that comment may have been describing the experience of being a student. Once having obtained a terminal degree if you want electricity you probably have to bring your own extension cord.

I am guessing the migration is over and I never actually did see a Monarch at the Monarch Waystation. It is my own fault, I didn't visit often enough or at the right time. I did, however, see a Monarch about a block away as I left the area in August.I stopped again today to take a look and it is still an interesting look, I think.

On the way home I was thinking orange and I knew there was a place with a striking display. I have been there other years later in the season but I thought this might be the time to see if I could get peak color. There are maples on both sides of the street along the west side of Langford Park.The prediction for tomorrow is twofold. One is for another possibility of a record. The other is for hockey at 2pm. TOPWLH is devastated and declares that she may boycott hockey.

2 comments:

gfr said...

That last photo is a 'wow.'

Nice storytelling, interesting ride. Doing something different keeps it fresh. During fall the scenery is different every day.

I've spent a lot of time on campus during the fall -- electric is not a word I'd use. But I did used to choose my classrooms based on wanting to walk across campus while the trees were all changing colors. A decision I always regretted in November.

TOPWLH said...

I agree with grf on the last photo and the storytelling. I am jealous! I went to work and took care of parents instead of riding. Oh well, I did get to play a fun game of whist (indoors). Oh, and go to a hockey game.
Since warm weather and no rain is predicted for Sunday, I guess I will go indoors again this afternoon for some hockey.