Wednesday, November 12, 2014

Stealing an idea from my brother

It is getting a little late here on another ugly winter day.  I haven't posted yet but did take a minute to look around at what others have posted.  TT has posted a photo from July 2011.  I recognize the vantage point, I was there that day too, in fact my blog post that day was entitled "I'm glad I did this while I am still young."

We got there early and waited an hour and half for the church to open so that we could be in the first group to climb the 422 steps to the top of Notre Dame.  I still have several photos that only I have probably ever seen so with a stolen idea here are a couple more from July 2011, the top of the big stone church.  Here's one, the crowd has not yet gathered in front of the church.
I think I used the others last time but I still like them and think they stand up to a repeat.

Here's that same bridge with some foreground interference.
Looking the other way, Tour Saint Jacques in the background and Basilique du Sacré Coeur in the far away top of Montmarte background.
This one is of one of the folks running the concession, Francois. He was bustling about just before the 10am opening, giving instructions mostly in French but also in English. I tried, "I like your hat".

He replied, in English, "Thank you very much, I bought it in Istanbul just a few days ago."

Just in case anyone missed the above semi-offhand reference, 422 steps.  With a gift shop located about two thirds of the way up, not so much because you are going to buy anything, although you certainly might.  I think the gift shop is mostly there so you can take a little break if that seems like a good idea.

6 comments:

Retired Professor said...

Gargoyles! Cool. Very cool.

TOPWLH said...

Fun to see the gargoyles again and I love the orange hat story.
Was that first picture taken all the way at the top? And why are there so few people?

Jimi said...

It was a great day and a great adventure. I'm glad I climbed those steps when I was young enough to do it. I think I may have one more trip up those steps in these old bones.

Great photos of the gargoyles.

Thanks for the memories and the photos.

Santini said...

Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery.

And those gargoyles! Worth the trip for them alone. Ah, the Cathedral.

Santini said...

J'aime votre chapeau? Nice story. I have one like that from Norway.

Emily M said...

I'm really going to have to climb those steps next time. The gargoyles alone are worth it.