Friday, November 28, 2014

Bicycle content again

Wireless has a flute, actually she has a couple of flutes.  Flutes are silver and need occasional cleaning and silver polishing.  While she was a high schooler Wireless acquired a silver polishing cloth for her flutes and when she later on acquired a newer version of this tool she passed the old one down to me.  This all comes up because we had the silverware out yesterday.  Which means that today we had some back and forth about whether the silverware should be polished before being put away or whether polishing should again this time just wait until we want to use the silverware again.  At which point it will be just like this year and it will be too late to polish the silverware before use.  Anyway, I went down to my bicycle storage area and produced the silver polishing cloth to at least raise the theoretical possibility that between the two of us we might commit to polishing the silverware more or less about now.  Maybe, but maybe not.

Which is a long way to get around to the reason why I have a silver polishing cloth in my bicycle storage area.  The reason why is because I have this:
I own a bicycle with a sterling silver head badge.  A sterling silver head badge requires some special maintenance and I have a silver polishing rag for just exactly that special maintenance.

It is an Independent Fabrication Crown Jewel Special Edition Custom Build.
Everyone reading this already knows that though.  Constructed for Mavic, to be used on the Service Courses (French for race support, Mavic is a French company) cars following the US Pro Tour.
This exact bicycle was one of the bicycles riding on the top of the yellow cars leading professional bicycle races. Custom welded Independent Fabrication steel frame, custom paint job in Mavic Service Courses color scheme, mostly 10 speed Chorus drive train but with a Record crank and Record front derailer.  Mavic Krysium (first generation) aluminum wheelset, Mavic brakes, color coordinated Fizik saddle, Time carbon fork, Chris King headset, one of the few changes I made was to swap out the aluminum stem for a LOOK carbon stem.  Very, very nice bike.
The last person before me who swung a leg over that top tube was a professional rider.  It is a bicycle richly deserving that level of human power.

That's MY Bianchi, not the GRider's identical (except for size of course) Veloce standing behind this most extraordinary of custom bicycles.

There are only two days left and I am pretty sure I have material for at least two more bicycle content posts.

It was hard this year because of the really awful November weather which limited everyone's ability to be outdoors meaning that there was less outdoor activity to be described.  Everyone had to conjure up content just about every day from the very beginning of the month.  Every time at the beginning of the month it seems unbelievably daunting and every time somewhere during the month it seems absolutely impossible.

But, there are two day left in BEDFAMM and I have two days worth of bicycle material ready to roll.

4 comments:

Jimi said...

BEDFAMM is indeed daunting, but it looks like you've got it made. As a last resort you could do your toaster from a different angle.

Or post the recipe for wild rice stuffing. That was mighty tasty vittles.

BDE said...

I would love to share the wild rice stuffing recipe, Jimi. I am checking whether or not my old Zanga blog can be updated but if not, I will just email or FB message you the recipe.

Jimi said...

Yea. We may be able to use it tomorrow for the Flaherty Thanksgiving at Sherries house. I'll watch for it.

Santini said...

I have heard most of the Crown Jewel story before, but at my age, all stories sound fresh and new. Sweet bike.

I find it amusing that you have polished the head badge, but not the silver eating utensils. Excellent priorities, I'd say.