Friday, November 7, 2014

Not much

It was a cold and rainy day in November.

And that isn't even the first line in my novel, it's a description of today.

I didn't do much.  I witnessed the pick up of the recycling.  This is also a good municipal service.  Although I here get to insert my opinion that the whole separate pick up of "recyclables" is made possible by quirks in the tax code which render the whole system profitable in a way that probably would not exist in a true free market.  You know, "incentives", and "credits" and stuff like that.  Either way, not as good a deal for me as yesterday's pick-up, a good municipal service but not a great one.

I have two pictures that I took this evening, each relating vaguely to the recycling pick-up.

We have for the entire time we have lived here used these bulbs to light the living room area.  I used up our last old school incandescent recently when we returned home to find one of the ones that I can reach burned out.  I saved the sleeve because I plan to take it with me when I head out to Home Depot to get the compact florescent replacement.  I am hopeful that having the old sleeve will give me enough information to possibly enable me to get something appropriate without having to be assisted by one of those new Home Depot robotic shopping assistants.
I learned about these robots by watching John Oliver's show, Last Week Tonight.  It is a funny bit, available on YouTube.

Possibly the old bulb was recycled, possibly not, I frankly do not specifically recall.  The new bulbs will positively require recycling.

The other bits there are the locking system for my home generator.  I had the generator guys out this week for annual maintenance and had to remove the locks to allow them entry into the cabinet to do the oil change and miscellaneous maintenance checks.  Having a home generator is not exactly recycling but I do think it is pretty green.

Then there's this.  After only being prodded a dozen or so times (ask TOPWLH, I bet she thinks it was more) I whipped out my box cutter and reduced the excess cardboard that we had accumulated around the house over the last prolonged period since I last cut boxes down to a nice bundle suitable to be picked up by the recycling truck.
I came out of it with only two paper cuts, a pretty good result especially considering that only one of them bled copiously.  But by the way, the one that didn't bleed hurts more, a lot more.

Yes indeed, that is a REALLY big TV.

Not much today.

2 comments:

Santini said...

Kudos on your environmental sensitivity. And for finding something to blog about on a cold and wet November day.

Emily M said...

I have discovered that finding equivalent light bulbs is more difficult than it should be. Good luck!