Monday, November 10, 2014

First

The snow part isn't completely over yet but it is going to be considerably less severe than as predicted by the European model et al.

Here's my first look at it at about 7:30am.
It's still snowing at that point but the accumulated amount is not terribly daunting.  Using our handy back yard measuring surface I am going to estimate at most a couple of inches on the table top.
The deal apparently is that temperatures stayed slightly higher than the model and we ended up getting a fair amount of the precipitation as rain.  This is just after the first appearance on our street for this season of the big plow.
Then the small plow comes around and does the rest of the clean up of the traffic circle.

Then I get out there with our fairly reliable snow blower and reestablish contact between our garage and civilization as represented by the plowed street.
And I'm calling that good enough.  The second part of the big event is forecast as very, very cold, very much below average temperatures.  With a little more snow expected overnight as the deep freeze settles in I choose to leave a little texture out there.  If I get down to pavement I could end up with a skating rink in lieu of a driveway.  I prefer a snow field with some crusty ridges and edges.

The Weather Channel has begun to name winter storms.

Any more bicycling seems unlikely.

1 comment:

Santini said...

The weather service is calling it Astro. I think that it's real name, Super Typhoon Nuri, is way more impressive.

Seems like hunkering down would have been wasted effort.

I did ride my bike today -- it was above 50 here. Quite a bit warmer than projected.