Friday, May 1, 2009

Hooray, hooray

I return here to a popular May 1 theme (see 2008 and 2007). In reviewing those previous entries I note that I recited a May Day poem for 2008 after completely ignoring that possibility in 2007.

So it herewith becomes a tradition and here you go:

Hooray, hooray!
The first of May.
It is probably now warm enough
For outdoor activities to resume.

In the other theme thing that I often participate in, here is a shadow photograph.That's me and my bicycle, coincidentally on Soo Street again. I was in motion when I took the picture, riding one handed (left) pointing the camera as best I could towards the shadow on the road. I took about eight and have decided that this is the best one.

A little earlier I captured the other moment when the sun was out, this time capturing early spring for two different varieties of maple in a yard less than a half mile from home.On the way home I saw a wild turkey, a first for me in Roseville this year. Of course, turkey sightings have become commonplace on the bicycle rides I take in Michigan even as they remain rare here. Like the turkeys in Michigan, this one was shy and ran hurriedly for the cover of deep woods before I even had a chance to think about trying to get a wildlife photo. So no eagle, but I did see a turkey. I believe there is a Benjamin Franklin anecdote that applies here.

There are hints of activity at the corn field, I think we are going to have to have a picture over there soon. As everyone knows for that picture to be acceptable I will need TOPWLH for scale. To date she has shown little interest in bicycling. And who can blame her, given how unpleasant the temperatures have mostly been.

2 comments:

gfr said...

Nice shadow photo, though it looks like the headless biker in a turtleneck to me -- another oddity of perspective.

Turkeys!

"Babe for scale" must be coming up soon.

T. Tousan said...

"Outdoor cooking(?) starts today" ???

Turkeys are better eating than those stringy old eagles - I've heard.

TT