Sunday, May 10, 2009

They DO know about me

It was very grey and still too cold today. The temperature display across from the A&W on Rice Street said 53 when I rode past.

*sigh* I know what average means. This is below average.

I rode out into the northwest wind again. With the new information about the red barn I detoured back into the HIll Farm to take a look. I didn't want to ride the full circle again but the barn is only about a mile or so inside the gate.

It turns out that the barn is at the corner of Red Barn Lane and Hill Farm Circle. It looks to me like they are having a plant sale out there.Here's a link to Wikipedia page for James J. Hill for anyone looking in who is not familiar with Minnesota and/or railroad history.

This substantial looking brick building is not anyone's house, it is the "Dairy Building" and was apparently the site of all of that innovation.Obviously they DO know about me. As I was riding away from the barn down Hill Farm Circle one of the residents, in the guise of walking her dog, attempted to initiate contact by raising her hand in greeting. I instantly realized that I had only two options. I could bludgeon her to death and escape or I could try to go undercover. I chose the latter and replied to her overture with a spoken greeting. It is obvious that I am going to have to be more careful out there.

Today in the Giro Alessandro Petacchi returned from his drug suspension to restake his claim as the world's fastest bicyclist. In a bunch sprint in Trieste, Petacchi jumped early to power past currently recognized best sprinter, Mark Cavendish, and had enough left to beat the Briton across the line. The crowd at the finish was so large that the first 109 across the line were all awarded the same time, allowing Cavendish to retain the leader's jersey, the maglia rosa.

1 comment:

gfr said...

That's a great Red Barn. The Dairy House isn't bad either. It all has a distinctly rural look to it. Again, nice find.