Wednesday, May 6, 2009

Sky ride

Today's ride was a sky ride. Which is to say that the entire ride was ridden with about one and a half eyes turned constantly to the sky.

I watched the weather radar all day. At about 3 o'clock I determined that the big rain cell developing out to the west was moving at a rate that meant it might not arrive here until 7PM or so. This meant that I absolutely had to, and I did, make a break from work at the earliest possible moment. And then ride with an eye on the sky for newly developing systems. And stay close enough to home to be able to make it under cover without too much time in the rain if and when it did begin.

There is road construction on Como which has limited traffic to one relatively narrow lane in each direction. I tried riding it on Monday. An unexpectedly courteous bus driver followed me without trying to pass for more than half a mile. In return I felt the need to ride as fast as I could to not hold him up any longer than necessary. Riding as fast as I can is always exhilarating for a while but ultimately it is too hard. I was not keen on repeating that experience.

Then on the way back inconsiderate assholes in cars kept refusing to delay themselves for 10 or 15 seconds by staying back and not violating MY rights on the road when they could without danger to themselves pass me at high speed within a foot or so of my handlebars. It's OK, I understand, I don't even feel that much resentment other than to identify them on this blog for what I think they are, assholes.

I digress.

Because of the construction I wanted off Como. I detoured through the Fairgrounds. I was watching the sky and shortly after entering the Fairgrounds I passed one of the termini of the Skyride. It seemed like a photo opportunity meant to be. The problem was that the picture would have to be taken directly into the sun and it is problematic getting a decent exposure in that condition. So I went looking for the other two ends of the line. The first one I came to had no sign at all. The second one had trees growing in front of the sign.But at least they are nice enough trees, displaying the signs of spring that is also enough of a reason to make it into a picture. So there you go, a "sky ride" as illustrated by the "Skyride".

I made it home without getting wet. I didn't quite get the miles I wanted but I got the miles I needed. I took this picture from the end of my driveway after putting my bicycle away. Does anyone disagree with my decision to go inside at this point?As it eventually worked out, I probably could have done another mile or two (at about 12 mph which is for me a fairly good average at this time of the year, especially considering the strong wind) I can expect about 5 minutes per mile, so every additional 2 miles is 10 minutes. It didn't rain within 10 minutes but it was sprinkling within 20 minutes. I maybe could have ridden 2 more, 4 more would not have been a good idea. I think I stopped just in time.

The number for today is 400. I passed 400 miles for the year on this bicycle. I have 400+ miles on each of the two bicycles I have ridden this year. On my next ride the LOOK will assume first place, a position it is almost certain to hold until the end of the season.

1 comment:

gfr said...

Nice use of theme -- I've taken a few sky rides myself. I wouldn't want to ride far with a sky that looked that threatening.

Good job on the double 400's.