Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Possible all time record

I know what average means and today was not average. Just last Saturday I dressed in complete winter gear, tights, long sleeve base layer, long sleeve heavyweight jersey, windstopper vest, windbreaker, full finger gloves, full under helmet cap including coverage for forehead and for ears. Today I dressed in complete summer gear, basically two garments, shorts and sleeveless jersey.Also visible in the picture is our newly repaired lawn mower. This time it was more severe than the time when my sister essentially completed the repair, with help from my brother, by cleaning the air cleaner. This time the carburetor was leaking and it had to go in for professional care. But the repair was relatively inexpensive, just $59, although there was a $121 surcharge related to delivery. I know that seems like a lot, ask TOPWLH.

The morning newspaper reported that the all time record high temperature for today is 89 achieved in 1978. This is only a video board on the grandstand at the State Fairgrounds and is therefore far short of official, but if the official temperature ends up being reported as close to this then we have ample reason for suddenly appearing in public with bare arms and pasty skin.On the way home I came across this. This is the same catch basin pictured here, last August. Most of this stuff was in full bloom last August, here it is in the formative stages.Any master gardeners and/or native plant experts out there are welcome to comment on the plants, either as the sprouts of spring or as the full blooms of August.The only I know for sure, and again I owe this knowledge to my sister, is the bright cardinal colored Cardinal flower.

I rode hard yesterday. Yesterday's effort was evident today. Today the effort necessary to maintain momentum into the wind was occasionally painful. The operative phrase here is, I believe, no pain, no gain.

It was a spectacularly nice day for a ride.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

The surcharge was related. I was SO excited to have the lawn mower repaired that as I was rushing to the hardware store to pick it up, a local cop stopped me for speeding. I apologized, saying I was in a hurry, but did not explain the emergency nature of needing to pick up the lawn mower. I do not think this would have convinced him to not give me a ticket. Oh, well. I mowed the lawn this afternoon and it was VERY satisfying (quite worth the $180 cost).
BB

gfr said...

The lawnmower story is extraordinarily funny. I'm not sure I've ever known someone to show so much grace in the face of a traffic ticket.

Shorts and short sleeves.... well. Not here, not yet. But still a nice enough temperature for riding, especially for the young ones.

No pain, no gain? Courage.

T. Tousan said...

I recognize the plants in the rain garden, but I'll wait for PP to name names. Maybe some kind of daisies?

I thought the deliver surcharge was a bit steep. But, Roseville needs the money, now that the governor is in charge of the state budget. TT

gfr said...

Our local TV weather people issued a pasty skin alert for today.