Thursday, May 28, 2009

Minnesota can be extremely beautiful at this time of year

It's so pretty out there right now. The emerging vegetation produces several hundred shades of green. Even if green were the only color the display would be spectacular, But then there are the flowers. Here is a particularly well planned display that I have ridden past several times before finally deciding today to picture.That's on Huron Street just before I arrive at County Road C2.

The big bicycle news for today is that I achieved a hugely significant number on my odometer.I am going to say here without any source material to support what I say other than the fact that I have ridden the miles that less than one percent of the people who ever ride a bicycle at any time in their lives ever end up with a lifetime total of 15,000 miles. I have 15,000 miles on THIS bicycle. This is my fifth season on this bicycle. Can it really have been more than four years since I bought the frame, ordered the components and spent part of the winter assembling the parts into this bicycle? Clearly it is, 15,000 miles says that it is.

I love my bicycle. Two hour bicycle rides are saving my life and this bicycle makes two hour bicycle rides a breeze. About my bicycle, it is a Campagnolo equipped bicycle. Without attempting to downgrade Shimano, because I have two Shimano bicycles, people say that you ride Campagnolo because of the durability, because Campagnolo is rebuildable, and because once adjusted you don't have to readjust Campagnolo. I have 15,000 miles with only having to have replaced a front derailer cable, front brake shoes, about 3 chains and one replacement of the 17-18 cog in the rear gear cassette. This amounts to virtually no replacements at all. Rebuildable? I have no idea, nothing has worn out. Lack of need to readjust? I can vouch for that. I set it all up when I put the bicycle together and have never had to do an adjustment since.

I love my LOOK.

The ride home led to a circle through familiar territory. The sun was by now in a position that made photos into the sun unlikely. For this one I hid behind an ELM tree (one of the few survivors) to shield the camera lens from the sun and got a photo of my old friends with flowering shrubs in the deep background.Minnesota is so beautiful at this time of the year that if it was like this all of the time it would be necessary to put up a fence around the state to keep people out.

2 comments:

gfr said...

Well done, GZ and GZ's bike. Well done.

One percent? I suppose you're right. I have three bikes now with more than 9,000 miles on each of them -- I passed 9,000 miles on the Ruby yesterday. None have an odometer that goes over 10,000 -- I suppose buying a new odometer is cheaper than buying a new bike....

Emily said...

Very nice photos, and an impressive milestone. I should take some pictures of my neighborhood in the spring - the lake is beautiful right now.

I really, really like the cows. :-)