Saturday, May 23, 2009

Turtle crossing

TFMWLH (the faculty member who . . .) was not available to join today's ride. She begged off saying that she had a previous engagement as a "hooder" and that she had to go somewhere to "hood" people. It all sounds more than a little criminal to me but I am a simple nearly retired person. In a related note, everyone should ask her for the details of the goings on at the Friday evening faculty dinner.

It was overcast when I set out but the radar appeared promising and the sun eventually did break through. I rode a bit beyond the standard ride, venturing once again across Highway 96 into the residential enclave behind the gate.

Just before I came to this sign I passed the remains of a former turtle crushed on the road.Such are the penalties for turtles attempting to cross the road outside the marked crossing. As I say, former turtle.

I also found out why that uphill where I got caught in the big ring last time was so hard. Today I knew it was coming and got myself into an appropriate gear but the hill was still plenty hard in the small ring. It is a nasty little rise that does that especially unpleasant trick of going around a curve on the way up. You cannot see the top of the rise from the bottom and can be easily lulled into a false sense of "this won't be too hard". Then it hits a short false flat which is, in fact, still slightly uphill before once again hitting a shorter but still nasty second rise. As on the first, the second rise goes around a curve, and again, you cannot see the whole hill from the bottom to allow you to gauge the effort. It's a tough little hill, visible just after the three mile mark on my North Oaks ride. The upside of the climb is, as always, the downhill on the backside where I hit 35 mph. I suppose I am going to have to ride out there again and try that sequence while traveling in the opposite direction.

4 comments:

gfr said...

Nice tool. It has some nice features, though I had some difficulty getting it to work -- learning curve, most likely. Nice ride report.

Anonymous said...

Very sad about the turtle, but a good signage photo. I do not believe that turtles, even when they multiply, are vermin.
BB

gfr said...

Michigan spent $318,000 on a 2 mile long turtle fence along highway 31 near Muskegon last year -- and repaired it this year after winter damage -- because turtles crossing the road created a traffic hazard and caused accidents. So I think turtles can also be classified as vermin. As can whoever decided to spend half a million dollars on a turtle fence given Michigans financial difficulties. Signs are cheaper.

gfr said...

I'm counting on a certain level of innumeracy here, obviously. Sorry.