Thursday, May 1, 2008

Hooray, hooray

Hooray, hooray!
The first of May.
For almost everyone who considers themselves to be a bicyclist
Outdoor biking
Starts today.

It was sunny and gorgeous until about midday. Then the gloom descended bringing down with it predictions of rain ranging up to 70 percent for tonight. At midafternoon I glumly logged onto the net to gauge my chances. Mikey J kept showing a radar loop with a storm evident in South Dakota but which storm couldn't muster any organization this far east. The satellite loop showed clouds trying to mass but mostly failing. By the time I got home the only place that it looked like rain was outside. Only very, very rarely have I headed out of the garage into conditions so obviously threatening. But Mikey J was correct. Night has fallen, the ride has been completed, and still no rain. A victory for modern technology.

So with a day so completely overcast and grey it was hard to find an appropriate image to capture. But riding through the neighborhood east of Hamline I came abruptly onto my first floral display of the season.The tree also smelled really good.

Shortly thereafter I had traffic roles reinforced for me in a way which left me feeling queasy. I stop at 4 way stop signs, preferring to play the role of vehicle. I put my foot down and wait my turn to go, hoping that by respecting car rules the cars will respect me. This works really well but I also do it because once several years ago I stopped at a 4 way and a blue haired old lady in a blue Ford coming across in front of me completely blew the sign. I had a good view as she passed from my right to left and she showed absolutely zero recognition of the sign. It wasn't just me, there was a car sitting across the intersection from me also waiting for the blue Ford to stop. The driver of the second car and I exchanged incredulous glances and then went on our separate ways.

Today I stopped at the 4 way at Garden and Fernwood. I put my foot down and waited for the cross traffic to stop. This time it was a young woman in a green minivan but she just cruised right through.

I stop at 4 way stop signs to make sure that I do not become a hood ornament.

In recognition of theme day here's a number that I saw today:Very few bicyclists are ever going to see that number on the odometer.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Cogratulations! That is a rare and awesome number.

Emily said...

That is a very impressive mileage milestone. Congrats!