Monday, November 11, 2013

Walking around money

I am old enough to remember when one cent pieces were still money instead of whatever it is they are now.  I always stoop down to pick up those or any of the other coins representing portions of a dollar whenever I spot them on the ground.  I can remember when doing so could result in a gumball.

Today I was out walking on Eldridge near Hamline when I was confronted with this.
The wind blew so hard the last couple of days that that dollar could have been just about anywhere west of there by at least a couple of miles the last time it was in the custody of a human being.  So I have absolutely no idea where it came from but I stooped over and picked up some walking around money.

I might be able to buy a gumball.

Actually, about pennies, I am pretty sure that they are now pocket chaff best left behind in that tray next to the merchant's cash register.

Here's another take on my relationship with a dollar.  This is from 2010 in France.
That year I took a bunch of dollar coins with me to Paris.  There frequently are buskers in the Metro and less frequently on the streets.  Instead of the Euro or half Euro which most of the other music appreciators were leaving behind, I left dollars.

4 comments:

Santini said...

Good story! And I appreciate the reminder. I have a similar story, and even a photo. Though without the added panache of a Paris street musician. More money, though.

Jimi said...

As I recall, the dollars were those goldish ones with the Native American woman on them.

Kudos to the cash donor and the photographer.

Gino said...

Paris photography by the guy I happened to be walking around with in Paris that day, my brother, Jim.

Emily M said...

I wonder what the musicians reactions were to the dollars, once they found them back at home? That would make a good story too.