Saturday, November 2, 2013

Sprung for the day

The young moderns and I had a multi-purpose outing today.  We met up at their house and then Wireless drove us down to Saint Peter.

We had a guided by an alumna (Wireless) abbreviated campus tour including the required for GAC grads stop at what they apparently refer to as "Gus".
The main attraction on campus was the corpse flower, amorphophallus titanum.  They call it "Perry".
They call it a corpse flower because it is allegedly very foul smelling.  We are all pleased to report that in the olfactory sense, Perry was a complete success.  It smells bad.
Perry has its own live video stream.

We walked past the stadium on the way back to the car.
In something of an upset, Gustavus 23, Saint John's 20.

Lunch downtown Saint Peter.
A brewery tour at the Mankato Brewing Company, a craft brewer in North Mankato.
And some hockey.
Gophers 7, Mankato State 0.  59 in a row.

I believe it is safe to say that a good time was had by all.

Note on the photography, I am experimenting with the hockey photography, today I tried the "S" mode which allows me to set shutter speed.  This is my first foray into "S" mode shutter speed and it seems quite obvious that there is still some work to be done.  I only took a couple today and stayed with the default ISO.  Photography is at all times an ongoing experiment and I will probably keep trying but probably next time I am going to fiddle with that electronic equivalent of film speed.  On the other hand, I have had fairly good hockey results in the "P" mode.  Stay tuned.

2 comments:

TOPWLH said...

Wonderful post! The pictures and the text answered most of the questions I had about your adventure with Wireless and TOPWLWH. You all looked happy AND the women hockey Gophers won again. It was fun, but much less so, to watch the men football Gophers defeat Indiana. Life is good.

Santini said...

It looks like you and the young moderns had a really nice day. I love college campuses in the fall.