Monday, November 23, 2009

Warm enough but wet

High temperatures today were yet again nearly 20 degrees above average for this date, certainly warm enough to ride. But it rained overnight, it was raining when I went out to get the newspaper, it sprinkled lightly and intermittently throughout the day. It just wasn't a day when bicycling was going to happen here.

I desperately want at least one more ride. I would really, really like two more. As of right now it doesn't look good. Tomorrow is predicted to be much like today, intermittent light rain. Then Tuesday night cooling and this all turning to snow. Temperatures in the 30s and light snow for Wednesday, morning snow on Thursday and then turning really cold, temperatures below normal for about the following two weeks. The season here has been living on borrowed time the last couple of weeks anyway but now it very much looks like it may be over. Still, until I can't ride I will continue to entertain hopes to ride. I really, really want one more, two would be the final cherry on top of a great year.

SIGNS: Part III

These are signs which seem to me to be directed at motor vehicles but refer as well to the bicycles sharing the pavement.

This is the corner of Summit and Lexington. Summit has a marked bike lane, quite well observed by the cars for the most part. Here is a spot where the two lanes have to do a weave and merge sort of maneuver. The instructions are for the CARS TO YIELD to the bikes.It was nice the day I took that, don't you think?

A bit further down the same street, Summit at Dale, we come across what I find to be an interesting juxtaposition. Still a bike lane but sharing the same pole we suddenly are informed "No trucks". There just aren't that many places where a well maintained city street allows bicycles while banning the ubiquitous vehicle of commerce, the truck.This one is on the River Road at the Highway 5 (or West 7th Street) overpass. Here is a good reason why I don't ride on this path, a speed limit of 8mph.8mph on a bicycle reminds me of a time when TOPWLH and I were living with Milton Spater at his duplex on Portland. We were sitting in the sun room looking out the side window, I think that's Wilder Street, a slight uphill going north. There was a person of questionable physical conditioning sort of jiggly jogging up the street. With him was his noticeably more toned we assumed wife, WALKING along side. That's what riding a bicycle at 8mph would feel like, you might as well get off and walk.

2 comments:

Retired Professor said...

What does that bottom sign mean on the 'no truck' signpost?

I don't know that I agree -- 8 mph sounds okay to me.

Emily M said...

I kind of like that trail - and I don't think any of the bikers are obeying that speed limit.

I like the signs - are there more photos for additional parts to come?