Thursday, November 12, 2009

Waiting for the man

Today moved closer to November, although it was still a day out of early November even as the calendar informs us that mid-November is nigh. The temperatures were above average but today only by a much smaller amount.

The bigger weather news was that the south wind freshened considerably, blowing often at 20 mph. Along with the stronger winds came a dense overcast meaning the sun would not be able to help the temperatures. Cold and very windy, the ride promised to be hard work.

I was saved from having to make too deep an excursion to the south by the municipal leaf pick up. We have a post card from the city informing us that our leaves will be picked up on November 10, 12 or 13. Both TOPWLH and I recall that in the past we have almost always been picked up on the first day of the pick up window. When the 10th passed without any movement of our leaf pile we started to get a little antsy. If we have to revert to bagging that monster pile out front we are both going to have very sore backs.

The 11th also passed without action but we expected that. 11th month, 11th day, 11th hour . . . we are not fooled, it is a holiday (by the way Wireless, it is extremely unpatriotic of your employer to not recognize a moment of this immense significance). Even so, the passage of another day didn't make us any LESS nervous.

So today I consulted the post card for the boundaries of our pick up zone (Southwest) and spent the first part of my ride going up and down the streets looking for the leaf crew. I found them.That vacuum truck and those guys with rakes make extremely short work of even the most monster pile of leaves.

As I rode away I discovered that there are at least two trucks and crews and at one point I was able to see them both at the same time. One seemed to be taking the north south streets and the other was on the east west. I rode through an intersection where I could see one of the crews crossing headed east in front of me while down the street to my right (west) I could see another crew crossing headed south.

It wasn't extremely productive but it allows us to know that leaf pickup looks on schedule and we can probably expect a visit from one or the other of the trucks tomorrow.

It was a south wind, after all.

Noon+1:20 EG53 CB51 WG55

I suspect that the west grandstand sensor must be in full sun as the temperature discrepancy was considerably less in today's overcast conditions.

2 comments:

Retired Professor said...

We're hoping to see men show up today with leaf blowers and rakes to take our leaves away, too.

It's true that without these strong south winds it would be, well -- November. They're still a challenge to ride in.

It looks like that East Coast storm is blocking the progression of weather, so 'what you got is what you'll get' for a few days. So a few more decent days, maybe until midweek.

Emily M said...

Unpatriotic perhaps, but also not unusual - activity downtown did not seem that diminished. Only government employees get that day off, unfortunately. It would have been nice to have it off, but I think I'd much rather have Christmas Eve and New Year's Eve, which I believe are not government holidays.

I'm excited for photos of the guys vacuuming up the leaf pile. Should be good.