Saturday, November 21, 2009

Signs: Part II

Today was yet another fabulous day for bicycling. Temperatures were nearly 20 degrees above normal, the sun was out with only light breezes. But we had hockey at 4pm, I (and I think TOPWLH too) like to be at the rink to see the warm up. The home team hits the ice for warm up 37 minutes before face off, followed usually one second later by the visiting team. We leave the house for a 4pm gave at about 3:05. That doesn't leave enough November daylight and warm enough time for bicycling. Its alright though, my sister says the season is over anyway. And the hockey was good, a really good high tempo entertaining game, Minnesota 3, Bemidji State 1. Also extremely pleasing to our bleeding maroon and gold selves was the news from Saint Cloud where the final score was Saint Cloud State 4, the we don't need no stinking Badgers 2. Further more, this just in from Duluth, Minnesota State Mankato 3, the we don't need no stinking Bulldogs either 2.

As mentioned previously, I have some back up material.

These are signs that I have seen while riding around which seem to me to be exclusively aimed at cyclists. Traffic signs for the "interlopers in traffic" if you will.

It looks like Hamline students have a little problem with obeying traffic laws. This red light at SNELLING, for god's sake, includes this additional admonishment for the apparently chronically scofflawing students on bicycles that they are supposed to STOP for the red light.Snelling is the busiest, meanest street in Saint Paul. The basic instinct for self preservation should be enough to keep people from running this red light. I guess not.

I see a lot of these lately. In spite of what I said above I usually wonder exactly who the intended target of this warning is. My experience is that people in cars are WAY better at honoring the rights of cyclists than those 10 percent of bicyclists who act entitled to personal right of way based on god knows what are at respecting the rights of the other users of the streets. And so even though this looks like a sign for automobiles, I usually conclude that this sign is to remind those blockhead cyclists that there ARE cars around and that they should be a little less arrogantly dense.
I also see a lot of this, there are lots of marked bike lanes in Saint Paul. This one is on Como and I think I have even previously posted a picture quite a bit like this one except that one was with the sun briefly appearing on a day when grey ruled. Signs which it seems to me are intended only for bicyclists: the Como bike lane:I still hope to ride 3 or 4 more times, that would make me really happy.

Anyone have any news from Tucson?

3 comments:

Old Woman with a Bad Back said...

More interesting signage. I hadn't thought about the 'share the road' signs as being aimed at cyclists, but I believe you have a good point.

I've been wondering about TTT myself. No news here, either.

Your sister said the season is over? I'm pretty sure she was out today on her good 'summer' bike. Complicated.

gfr said...

I Googled USTA national championships mixed doubles tucson, etc. You can drill down through the information, and I don't think the northern team has won any of their matches. It's hard for me to read, but I'm pretty sure I found the right info. Mixed doubles, 8.0 -- I'm sure he'll have some stories to tell, eventually.

Anonymous said...

What the heck is up with that first sign? The many foreign students at Hamline could get confused! Actually I am confused and I read English quite well. Stop On [arrow] For Green?
Nice pictures and I agree about the stinking Badgers and Bulldogs.
TOPWLH