Tuesday, November 3, 2009

Two views of fall

Just now as I get off from work I discover that it is raining outside.

Oh.

Never mind.

It wasn't as nice today as yesterday. The sun was mostly out but it was filtered by the early arrivers from the front which is completely here now. Still, the sun was mostly out at noon and the temperature was above previously established minimums so I seized the window of opportunity to ride some more standard time November miles.

I headed into the wind down into the city. Mostly the trees are bare now except for the oak trees. There are a couple of places where I come across lots of oak trees, one is Sheldon Street. This is the view north from Frankson.Sheldon Street for a two block long stretch features oak trees and only oak trees as the boulevard trees. As is apparent from the photo these trees haven't even all completely changed color much less dropped their leaves.

I rode through the Fairgrounds a bit. It was 44 degrees on the time and temperature sign on the Grandstand. It was 41 on a similar sign three blocks away on the cattle barn. My conclusion? The Grandstand temperature sensor receives some direct sunlight which isn't hitting the cattle barn sensor. It felt like 41 to me.

The front kept coming and by the back half of the ride I was riding with the wind but also with a heavy overcast. I rode through the campus to check on the Professor but she was still at home feedbacking or something. I turned for home.

I ride across this bridge every once in a while. When we lived in the neighborhood there was a stairway down from the far side of the bridge. That option is no longer available. Those corners are very, very short radius and just a tiny bit tricky if you decide, as I did today, to stay clipped in while riding down the ramp.The weather had changed as I got closer to home so this picture shows two contrasts. One is the change in the weather.

The other contrast is that this street is one block over from the above pictured Sheldon Street. This is Albert Street looking north from Frankson.There appears to be one, maybe, oak boulevard tree on Albert, about halfway down on the right. All of the rest of the trees reflect current reality, they are bare.

If a guy had a job he wouldn't have been able to ride today. It is raining now.

5 comments:

Santini said...

There's a biker on that bridge. It seems you weren't the only bicyclist out there today. Probably a commuter, though. They're a very hard core group.

I think I've been on that bridge -- the corners are very tricky. I believe that I walked the corners, or something similarly wimpy.

41 is cold, Dude.

Jimi said...

I've been on that bridge a few times myself. It's one of the main options when I go to Como on my bike. Usually I visit Hamline U. just after crossing it going south. Those are tight corners - switchbacks, I think they could be called.

The oaks seem to be the last major group of trees that are still holding on to their leaves. They are quite attractive, especially in contrast to the quitter ash trees.

Retirement rules!

TT

Anonymous said...

Did you know that red oaks hold their leaves through the winter, and white oaks change and fall, though still later than most other trees? You might be amused to learn that in recent weeks EVERY SINGLE time I passed a bare tree with a sad pile of brown, ash-like leaves in a heap at its base the statement: "Ash trees are quitters" zooms into my brain. Please make it stop or I will have to get a tinfoil hat.

jilrubia

Emily M said...

Too cold for biking, brr! But it looks like you had a nice ride despite all that. Retirement seems to be working out.

Santini said...

Tinfoil hats are very cold this time of year. Perhaps jilrubia can find one with earflaps.

The beech woods is (are?) mostly brownish -- the young beech hold on to their leaves through the winter, the mature ones turn beige and drop their leaves fairly late.