Sunday, November 15, 2009

Clear, cold . . . November

It was clear and cold today. It really, really felt like November. But the sun was out, there wasn't much in the way of wind and even though it felt cold the temperature was actually a couple of degrees above the average high for this date. I guess this is what November feels like.

The temperature was a couple of degrees above average, I am pretty sure that any more riding I do this year will have to be with temperatures above average. If it is very much colder than today it will be too cold.

But I have the gear and today was OK. I rode out towards the north. I ride to Vadnais a lot and it felt to me today like this might be a last chance to ride there this year. That archery deer hunt resumes again tomorrow and runs Monday through Wednesday which means I won't be riding there for at least the next three days. Those days are predicted to be above average temperatures but after that who knows? The season is almost over, I may not ride there again until spring.

I have a lot of pictures of Vadnais, this is Sucker Lake, looking north from the picnic area. Sucker Lake was pretty today.I have a lot of pictures of Vadnais, I was going to leave it out today. But these ducks were right next to the shore when I rode by.There have been lots of photos of mallards lately. Truthfully this isn't the best one I have seen lately, it is just the best one I have taken. It would have been better if the ducks were feeding on the shoreline in an area which was not in the shade. Stupid ducks. I took what was available.

It is getting cold (and dark) but I remain hopeful of another few rides. I have ridden a lot in November and it is evident to me that October's poor weather and lack of riding cost me considerably in my fitness level. I am starting to feel stronger again just in time for the season to end. I will miss the bicyclist when I am no longer able to ride, I feel strong, I feel good.

Probably most people are not going to find this terribly interesting but I have provided exhaustive coverage of the corn crop. I may be a little weak on soybeans but I have personally seen corn harvesting, my knowledge base is more comprehensive. I was riding past the corn field and saw evidence of another step in the harvest over there. The earlier harvest photos I posted were of corn being chopped. Chopping corn for silage uses up pretty much the whole plant leaving very little residue as in the foreground of this photo.
Next to the still standing corn is some corn that has been combined. Combining corn involves separating the cobs from the plant and also separating the kernels from the cobs. You end up with kernel corn. The process leaves quite a bit more plant residue in the field, as with the standing half stalks next to the standing corn in the photo.

Why they are doing this I don't know. And why there is still some corn standing I do not know. Maybe they are leaving it standing for the wild life. Over the winter pheasant survival is rumored to be improved by leaving some corn standing in the field.

It was a nice day for a bicycle ride.

2 comments:

gfr said...

Riding in the cold is just plain hard work. But still worth it, for at least a few more rides. I do keep wondering which one of these rides will be my last ride of the year. Soon.

Retired Professor said...

Just to be sure you don't miss it, your weather bug says 26. -4C.