Tuesday, November 10, 2009

How long can this last?

Every morning I ask TOPWLH what my schedule is. Today she informed me that I was pretty wide open. Again.

Fortunately for me, the 15 degrees above average temperatures are still hanging around. I decided to emulate Herb Schultz and take a bicycle ride.

The weather channel that I watch declared that there was virtually no wind. The guy that made that statement clearly made it without trying to ride a bicycle into that "no wind". It wasn't a strong wind, but once again riding into the wind felt a fair bit colder than the day looked from inside the house looking out the window. The wind was from the south and I set out to use the newly refurbished crossing at Dead Man's Curve and possibly ride all the way to the end of the standard summer south ride. It was slightly chilly on the way out but only a tiny bit. It was a way nice day, yet again.

I rode around the Fairgrounds a bit too much while taking my now customary loop there on the way out to the south. I ended up having to break off the river road ride before I reached the end. I stopped at the overlook above Hidden Falls. It was far enough, I felt good, I was enjoying the day, I decided to go artsy with today's photograph.

Behold: "Bare oak, blue skies".Pretty nice blue sky, eh?

I took a close look at those trees, and in fact, have looked at them closely a few other times when they had leaves on them. Those are definitely oak trees, and thanks to a persistent poster I am able to identify them as white oaks. The red oaks don't drop their leaves yet, don't ya know.

I was feeling pretty proud of this, at least proud of the view of it that I could get on that tiny LCD screen on the back of my pocket camera (think "small", think "vision isn't quite as good as it used to be"). That's when I noticed this woodpecker flitting about. I decided to make a second effort at photography and go for a wildlife shot.Pretty nice blue sky, eh?

It might not be visible in the photo but there is a hole in that dead tree just above the woodpecker and there is another woodpecker in there. That's where they live.

It was a ride to the south, an out and back.

Noon+1:15 EG59 CB55 WG64
Noon+3:00 EG59 CB57 WG71

I am rapidly reaching the conclusion that the only reliable indicator over there is the one on the cattle barn. It might be registering a degree cool but those two on the grandstand are definitely totally whack (is that how you spell whack when used in the context of totally whack?)

5 comments:

gfr said...

Pretty nice bird photography. That's a very blue sky.

I would have expected a few degrees warm up during the ride -- is the west grandstand thermometer possibly in the sun?

No blue sky here -- it was a gray day.

Jimi said...

Very nice blue in that sky. I think this blue is bluer than September blue. Just my opinion, I could be wrong. TT

Anonymous said...

Holy Hannah Batman. Beautiful photos! First one is a favorite as I am currently at war with woodpeckers. Especially that kind, a Hairy Woodpecker, Picodes villosus. (from a bird book not my brain!) Stupid thing has pecked 6 holes in the stucco/styrofoam trim (yes, we have a sturdy house!) around the garage door. I hate those things.

Someone please call the I-Team about those thermometers!

jilrubia

santini said...

In response to your specific question -- there is speculation here that we won't have accumulating snow until Thanksgiving weekend.

Emily M said...

As the designated young person, I can confirm that you spelled whack correctly. At least, as far as I know.

Lovely photos. Makes me wish I hadn't been stuck inside all day.