Sunday, November 27, 2016

Teddy bear toss

I went inside today on yet another November day which felt more like October.  A bicycle ride may have been possible.  The occasion moving me indoors was Gopher Women's Hockey annual teddy bear toss for charity.  Throw a teddy bear on the ice when the Gopher women score their first goal of the game.  All of the bears are donated to the UofM children's hospital for distribution to patients.

Yesterday's photos were a test run.  I came home, examined the results, spent some time with the manual, made a couple of settings changes, and today went better.

I got there early, as I usually do.  But today I was also confirming what my time with the manual and the changes would mean to the finished results.

Seven time national champions, all of the trophies are here.
The Gophers come out for warmups about 37 minutes before game time.  First on the list is some stretching.
This one is for TOPWLH who is the first person I ever heard say that Lee Stecklein's work is never done.  Lee Stecklein, Olympic and national team veteran, All-American defenseman, her work is never done.
Here's the opening face-off.
Kelly Pannek scored the teddy bear goal with 2:49 remaining in the first period.
That's the biggest bear.  It looks to me like the zebras are considering whether to impose a penalty on that big teddy for illegal largeness.
That light brown bear in the lower right is one of the two bears that we contributed today (actually one was a bear and one was a dog).

At this point the Gophers had just scored to take the lead 1-0.  Eventually it seemed like the players were interested in getting the game going again.  Players started to assist the crew removing the bears.
And they should have been interested in getting the game going again.  15 seconds after play was finally resumed Kelly Pannek scored again and it was 2-0 and off to the races.

Between periods our beloved rodent skates out and entertains.
Eventually Dani Cameranesi added two goals to the two Pannek goals and Minnesota won 4-1.

There are probably a couple more kinks to be worked out in hockey photography but I think it is now trial and error.  I probably will not have to consult the manual on this particular issue again.

Considering that it is very late in November I really don't mind missing the ride.  There just are never going to be many chances at this point anyway and I did have a good time at the Teddy bear toss.

2 comments:

Santini said...

The photography exceeds all expectations.

That's a ridiculous amount of bears. Except it is such a good cause.

I see a few bikers still out and about. I remember when that last one rolling was me, but it isn't this year. But -- there could still be a ride here before the end of the month. I'm not quite willing it to call it just yet.

Emily M said...

I do so love the Teddy Bear Toss. Excellent photos.