Tuesday, November 15, 2016

Lanes

That whole no bicycles beyond this point seems poised to arrive on Friday with current predictions for 2 inches of snow.

I am not quite ready yet, I really, really want at least one more ride and would prefer two.

We shall see.

Today was my coldest ride yet this season, it was 49 when I started out.  I was as close as I have been for a couple of years to full winter costume.  I had double head coverage, including balaclava.  I wore that up over my nose and mouth at the start but the sun stayed out enough of the time to warm me and the air enough so that I had that item of gear in the preferred position of only covering my chin and neck by the time I finished.  I think it was 54 at the end.  I also went with the heavier jacket, a light weight vest and full double layer mittens.

I have the gear, I was comfortable.

Bike lanes are becoming more and more common around here.  I had seen this one before but I don't believe I have ever published it.
That lane comes out of the Horse Barn at the Fairgrounds (right across the street from the Cattle Barn) and leads over to the Coliseum.

A horse lane.

I try not to ride my bicycle in that lane, even when there are no horses present.

Professional courtesy or something.

I wanted to get out to Grass Lake but wind conditions led me south, over to the Falls.
I take lots of pictures of the Falls, it seems, but the Falls never disappoint me.

That is another illustration of the wet summer.  The amount of water going over the Falls at this point in the season when it should be relatively low water is equal to the high water level of many springs.  There promises to be a pretty spectacular ice formation over there this winter.

The street reconstruction on Raymond is now finished.  The street has not officially reopened but when not only is the pavement back in but the striping has been repainted the project is finished.  Expect reopening tomorrow would be my guess.
Note that as they did last year on the reconstruction of Raymond on the other side of Deadman's Curve that they have eliminated parking on one side of the street and formalized the bike path on each side.

Reconstruction is complete on both sides of the double underpass, I have a guess what comes next year.  And the patchwork mess underneath the underpasses does really call out for replacement.

Work on the infrastructure.

I got nearly home before stopping for this late afternoon shot of some pretty clouds.
The problem with November is that anything after about 1:30pm is starting to feel like late afternoon.

I believe those are cirrocumulus clouds.  Wikipedia reports that this is also called "mackerel sky" apparently because some of those among us with highly active imaginations have declared that the clouds look like the scales on a mackerel.

2 comments:

Santini said...

Good stuff, and sorry about the snow forecast. Ours is expected about a day later than yours (reasonably enough), and not as much. But very windy, blustery -- wintery.

Love the horse lane. Staying out of it should provide some universal Karma or something, perhaps?

Great photo of the falls. I have my favorite destinations, and when I can't ride to them any more it makes me a little sad.

Pretty sky. Mackerel sky? That's a new one for me.

TOPWLH said...

The mackerel sky is my favorite photo, but the horse lane comes in a close second. Informative, interesting post with excellent photos.