Friday, November 27, 2015

Thanksgiving Day past

I even offered this one to min søster but she declined to use it so I am going to.  Photos from Thanksgiving Day posts past.

My first year of blogging, 2007:

Thanksgiving Day morning, 8am, 22 degrees F, minus 6 C.Meanwhile, 3pm Paris time, predicted high of 55 and partly cloudy.

This one is 2008

The meal is over, the table is cleared.  Most everyone has had a little walk.  There have even been a couple of field goals kicked.  Pie is past tense.  Now, now at last, let the games begin.
We had a nice full house for the feast (and for the game).  Jim, Adam, Kelsey in the corner, Kim, Jim, Anne, Jane, Emily, and B.D.

2009:

The Turkey Bowl has been played in the field next to our house on at least every Thanksgiving Day that we have been here to witness it, including at least a few when the game was conducted in fairly deep snow.

The weather today was nice enough that more players showed up to play than could be accommodated in a single game.  Therefore, for the first time that I know of since we have lived here and as pictured below, two simultaneous iterations of the Turkey Bowl, one visible on each side of the tree.They were gone by noon and we left shortly thereafter for a family turkey feast.  I made pumpkin pie before we went and the gravy after we got there.  The cranberry bread was provided by others within my little family unit and the rest of the feast was prepared by others from my larger family unit.

2010:

Instead today I shoveled.  I am always a little surprised at how hard shoveling is the first few times I do it each season.  Fortunately yesterday's accumulation was minor and even though harder than I expected today's shoveling was well within acceptable levels.I am nearly finished there so I was back inside shortly thereafter.  My turkey duties this year for the first time had been handed over to TCWUTH.  I wasn't completely cut out of kitchen chores as I still peeled potatoes, prepared vegetables and carved the turkey.  But Wireless tackled the preparation and roasting of the turkey and performed admirably.  Check out her report for details of the big event of the day.

2011:

Was just another nice day with a picture of the turkey bowl.

2012:

We hosted this year.  TOPWLH makes her signature cranberry bread the day before and then prepares the stuffing but the rest of the cooking, including all of the things that end up being ready at the same time just before you eat, is up to me.  Therefore I was pretty busy but I did get one picture.
Not to worry, though.  There were at least three other cameras active including cameras wielded by two people who have to blog every day this month.

2013:

Sorry, no particular Thanksgiving content.

2014:

Sorry, the only photo was a reprint of the 2010 white Thanksgiving photo.

Thanksgiving Day past.

3 comments:

BDE said...

Fun, I enjoyed the trip down Thanksgiving memory lane. I sent the photo from 2008 to my brother Jim. It is the only time I have been with other Elvecrogs on Thanksgiving since I don't know when. Notice we are playing a card game!

I also really enjoyed revisiting Emily's blog the Thanksgiving she prepared the bird.
Fun.

Retired Professor said...

Ummm, when did you learn Norwegian?

Those archival posts are fun to read, but a lot of work. I'm too slothful.It does show how much family history is recorded here.

Retired Professor said...
This comment has been removed by the author.