Monday, November 23, 2015

A reasonable response would be to keep on rocking in the free world.

I was watching the CNN travel/food show Parts Unknown the other night.  On this episode Anthony Bourdain was returning to Borneo, apparently he had been there before for some other travel show on some other network.  Anyway at one point he says "down by the river, I shot my baby" and then asks what do you think Neil meant by that?

Well, I don't know Anthony, what do you think Neil meant by that?

I think an equally legitimate question is what did he mean by "she could drag me over the rainbow, send me away"?

But that's just me, a guy who has actually spent a couple of hundred hours of my life listening to Neil Young.  I am glad Anthony has also familiarized himself with the music but I think, and I think the guitar guy Marz Volpatz would back me up on this, he is the one who originally shared this particular insight with me, lots of college sophomores have spent lots of time listening to Neil Young.  So there is nothing terribly unique about that.  But if it comes to why you listen to Neil, I am not really a lyrics guy.  Which is not to say I don't hear the lyrics, but I mostly like guitar based rock because I am mostly enjoying listening to the guitar.  Which is almost always better than the lyrics.

Anyway, that got me thinking yet again about Neil.

The other day when I was thinking about curling and eventually posted the video for "always throwing hack weight".

When I played that video the sidebar offered a variety of other available videos including one of Pearl Jam performing one of Neil's more recent tunes than "Down By the River" in concert in Toronto in 2011 with Neil coming on stage to help Eddie and the boys keep it "Rockin' in the Free World".
Not to get too deep here but considering Paris Friday the 13th keep on rockin' in the free world seems like what we should do.

One more time some of our favorite all time photos from Paris.

2004 Montmarte.
2006, roof of Galeries Lafayette.
2010 Place des Mousquetaires outside Court 1.
2012, out the window of our lodgings.
Vive la France.

3 comments:

Santini said...

Noteworthy photos. Nice tower behind that French girl, happy looking couple, Jim -- there are no words, /BDE and Notre Dame. Darn nice.

NCW said...

Nice Paris pictures. I'm sad that I'll never be able to see Paris with Jim and the two of you. It would have been fun, no doubt.

Mrs. Smith said...

I LOVE these pictures. And "Rockin' in the Free World" is a great song (and I listen to the lyrics).