Sunday, November 1, 2015

Dark season arrives early

The end of DST really reinforces the coming of the dark season and when the first Sunday in November is November 1 the season arrives as early as it is possible for it to arrive.

We have had cold and rainy for the past several days but today was only cold.  Well, cool, definitely on the cool side.  50 at the Cattle Barn.

But I got in a ride in November.  This is my first November ride since November 15, 2013, no rides at all in November last year.

That 2013 ride was the only ride in November that year and in fact was the only ride I took after October 27.  It was my worst year as I report also that I had only those two rides after October 10.

I had 392 miles in November of 2012.

Today's south wind enticed me over towards the big cities.  There is still construction going on at Deadman's Curve but they don't work on Sunday, so no men, and the first layer of asphalt has been put down.  The street is closed but there is a completely bikeable surface.  I rode on.

It was pleasant to be able to get through there as I got a pretty late in the season chance to visit the Falls.
On the way home I noticed this juxtaposition of three bicycling specific street signs.
The bike lane ends, good luck under that bridge (Deadman's Curve obviously).  Although the signs do state that everyone should share.  My experience is the same experience that all bicyclists have had, cars are not very good at sharing.  But don't even think about riding your bicycle on the sidewalk.  You MUST get off and walk your bicycle.

Actually most of the bicyclists I see on the sidewalk under that bridge are about as good at following that instruction as cars are at sharing the road.  In the interest of getting a photograph I once took my bicycle onto the sidewalk and I got off and walked it.  Only partly because of the sign, the sidewalk is narrow and goes around a couple of blind turns.  It just seemed a LOT safer to walk my bike.  And while walking my bike that day I did meet someone riding his.  But except for that one time when I did it, I cannot, in fact, recall EVER seeing anyone walking their bike.

Just for good measure, no parking, and there is someone willing to buy your ugly house.

3 comments:

Santini said...

I'm hoping for another November like 2012. Even if it means the wind is always from the south.

You have a nice bridge theme going there, too. The one behind the falls shows up nicely in the fall.

TOPWLH said...

I also like the bridges.
All the signs are amusing and good walk-your-bike story.

Emily M said...

Excellent photo of the Falls, as per usual. It's a lovely sight in all seasons.