Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Unbelievable

I am just a tiny bit obsessed so it is always good when nature forcibly gives me a day off the bicycle. I don't take many voluntary rest days. Rest days are good. Being forced into a rest day is good.

I am going to go with unbelievable to describe yesterday even though unbelievable is just not nearly enough, it was way more than that.

It was hot, obviously. But it was also some of the strongest winds of the year. I was out doing some errands in mid-afternoon (by automobile not bicycle). Standing in the intense heat with that blast furnace wind smashing into me was an experience not to be believed. Hence unbelievable.

We had warning. I could see it coming, I could see that the day was going to be hot. I thought I might ride early. It was 80 and already sticky by the time I finished breakfast. I thought I might ride late. The highest temperature occurred after 6pm. I went out onto the field and watched from a distance a baseball game while at the same time some low intensity soccer practice went on right in front of me. Just standing was OK. I felt no interest in anything more than that.

Occasionally in this climate nature delivers a day that is beyond uncomfortable, delivering instead a day which could actually kill you. We get such days with fair regularity in the winter time. We don't get them very often in June.

But today is OOTNDITHOD. I had a guest rider. We stayed within GRider distance from home but still managed to find a couple of things she likes.We rode just a tiny bit more than she had asked for before we began but the final little detour got her over to Lake Como.I sincerely hope that this time I am correct when I say we now resume regular programming.

2 comments:

Jimi said...

Ah, Como - the jewel of the north.

Retired Professor said...

Cows!

The wind makes you stronger. But some times it is just ridiculous.