Sunday, June 5, 2011

Day of rest

I rode past plenty of construction but in truth I cannot claim that I actually saw anyone working.

Sunday seemed like a good time to try to ride downtown. I have ridden there a few times in the past but I figured today might be less stressful without the usual heavy automobile traffic.

Car traffic was light although there were lots of pedestrians for some sort of child information fair at Rice Park. As all bicyclists know, pedestrians are at least as dangerous as cars although in fairness a bicyclist is quite a bit less likely to die if run over by a jogger.

So I was riding around amidst the skyscrapers, such as they are in Saint Paul. Here is a LOOK at a pretty quintessential downtown location, Mears Park.And downtown's hub, the City Hall and County Courthouse.I planned on returning from downtown by riding up Summit Avenue. I thought a Sunday afternoon ride on Summit would probably be quite stress free. I have been living in the suburbs too long, I guess. It had completely slipped my mind what the big event is on the first Sunday of June.It was a grand old day. With that many people on Grand Avenue even Summit was fairly loony, especially on the stretch from Dale up to Lexington.

What a day! If it was always like this in Minnesota we would have to put a fence up to keep people out.

2 comments:

Retired Professor said...

Mears Park looks like a nice spot.

jilrubia said...

Ah...fences. How's the Gzmoohoo Fence Co. coming along? I'm telling ya, big bucks to be made!!!