Friday, June 3, 2011

Road construction

I went to a CLE this morning. I had not pre-registered so I had to register and pay at the front desk of the CLE center. The young lady who assisted me first looked me up in their data base and we went through the familiar litany of verifying the information that they have on me. She did fine with my name and street address but when she got to my e-mail address she paused just a milli-second as she said, "We have you as gzmoohoo@yahoo.com" and looked up with a hint of disbelief to gauge my reaction. Life has changed a lot for me since I stopped working at the plant. Life isn't so serious any more. Yes indeed, I am gzmoohoo. I just smiled. To her credit she too smiled.

It was sprinkling when I left the house, bicycling seemed unlikely. But when I took a mid-morning break at the CLE center and skywayed over to Gavidae Commons and the Wells Fargo Center I observed that the sun had broken though and it looked dang nice out. Aside here, the bank people are taking that Wells Fargo thing way, WAY too seriously. They have a stage coach in the lobby of the bank.

I came home at lunch time only to find that iffy riding conditions had returned. But it wasn't actually raining so I headed out intending to get in whatever miles I could. The truth is I was mostly JRA, just riding around, WSROMT, wearing some rubber off my tires. It stayed overcast for the first 10 or 12 miles. When the sun made its first appearance I was at the corner of Hamline and Garden. I used to ride on Garden a lot and will again after that repaving project is completed. See, road construction, it IS a theme month.If you look closely you can see that they have ground down the pavement in preparation for whatever the next step is. I ride there a lot, I can vouch for the fact that the pavement was in poor condition. Although obviously at this point in the project they do not need me vouching for anything.

So I was JRA, WSROMT but with a cheap digital camera in my jersey pocket. Sure enough the sun coming out encouraged me. I take photographs of things I find interesting and I found this interesting.

I commented a couple of posts ago that we hope to have corn knee high to Paul Bunyan by the Fourth of July. Within easy Paul Bunyan hiking distance (Paul takes really long strides don't you know) I discovered that someone has put out an Adirondack chair for Paul to sit in.Puny human size house for sale.

As I neared home I rode past our new high school girls' varsity softball field. No games have been played there yet. The grass is just now coming in and there are several issues concerning the infield that have to be addressed before games can be played. Like the installation of home plate.

Previous sentence fragment is work product over which the artist retains total artistic control.

Here is the very, very newest addition to the field, a warning sign.Well, OK then. But it leaves me wondering just exactly what sort of "police action" will be produced by unauthorized PLAY. The gamut ranges from merciless thrashing with truncheons and clubs to a really severe talking to with just driving by with the lights flashing to scare the miscreants away thrown in for good measure. And by "play" do they mean softball games or would that also include frolicking with butterflies?

That's all I have today. It is summer time.

1 comment:

Retired Professor said...

And you said the Wells Fargo people were taking things way too seriously. Police action? For unauthorized play? How much for the permit?

Love, love the chair.

Good use of theme.

Sentence fragments. Gotta love 'em.