Saturday, June 11, 2011

Roseville was pretty today

Even if it was 15C again.

But I layered up and headed out. Here is a look at Roseville from my driveway.I rode out to Vadnais. The big blues and big whites haven't really returned to the lake this year as the water level remains too high. Both of those bird species feed in shallow water and there just isn't as much shallow water at Vadnais this year as in years past. As a result I haven't seen many of the great blues. I have seen the whites at smaller lakes like Island and Owasso. None of this affects the ducks as they are divers and the lake is still very good habitat for them.There are a lot of fishermen out there at that lake almost every day of fishing season. The ducks have become fairly adapted to the human presence and stayed quite near to shore to pose for this photo.

Lake Vadnais is in Vadnais Heights and it was pretty out there today as well.Just before I took that picture the guy on the right caught (and released) a muskrat on his fishing line. The muskrat started flopping around trying to shake the line and the fishing guy declared that he had no interest in a close encounter with an upset muskrat. He cut his line. That's why he isn't actually fishing at the time of the photo, he is preparing to re-rig. I stayed for a time but no one caught any big ones so eventually I rode on home.

Nice day, nice ride.

Today's milestone is 1,000 miles this bicycle, this year. It isn't a good year so far. I am facing the very real possibility of not reaching my mileage goal this year. As of today I have ridden about one-third of the mileage I want (33.1 percent to be precise). About one-third of the seven month bicycling season has elapsed so one-third of the mileage would put me pretty close to on schedule if I was going to ride the full season.

Here's an announcement: I am going to miss a couple of weeks of bicycling this summer. The miles not ridden during those two weeks may be the difference between making and not making my mileage goal. To make the goal I am going to need better weather than we have had the last couple of years in September and October and I am going to need winter to not arrive on November 1. We shall see.

Why am I missing two weeks of bicycling? On July 23 I will be in Paris for the final stage of this year's Tour de France. I will complete a personal double of two of the biggest sporting events in France, last year the French Open, this year la Grande Boucle, le Tour de France. My brother and I will be witnessing the conclusion of the final stage on les Avenue des Champs-Élysées.

Glenn offers internet access in his apartment rentals, therefore, as was the case for last year's sojourn, updates will be provided daily.

1 comment:

Santini said...

It's quite pretty in your neck of the woods this time of year.

Have fun in Paris!