Sunday, June 26, 2011

Anyone seen the rodent?

I really wanted a ride yesterday. It never really, really rained here but . . .

I went outside three different times intending to ride. The first two times I even had my bicycle clothes on. The first time I even got my bicycle out of the garage. I never made it past the end of the driveway. It began sprinkling each time I was out there.

I would go inside and look out the window. It didn't SEEM to be raining but, sure enough, the driveway got a little damp. Half an hour later it seemed dry enough but . . .

It was a very frustrating day.

Today was supposed to be partly cloudy but it was completely cloudy until past noon. Eventually I gave it a chance and had better results than yesterday. The sun actually came out during the time I was out there and it was quite nice for a significant portion of the ride. Here is where I was when the sun first appeared.That's the seldom photographed (by me) view of the cows. I had to cyclocross ride out into the mall for that angle, the position of the sun made that advisable in any case.

The sun conditions were more like this most of the day. The sun was trying to poke through but was mostly not quite making it.That's a pretty ambitious flower garden. It is located on the side of the hill (duh) at the bus stop below the student center at the Saint Paul campus. The only thing missing from that scene is Goldy with a hoe.

Yet another month that seemed promising early on for miles is finishing with not enough miles. The annual goal slips farther and farther outside the realm of possibility. At this point I estimate that I will have to ride until at least Thanksgiving to have even a remote shot at 4,000 miles. All good things must end.

3 comments:

Santini said...

I've seen the cows from that angle, but it's been a while.

As someone once said, "Mother Nature bats last."

Mrs. Smith said...

That picture of the cows suggests they are discussing literature or something ("Cows in an Academic Setting").
It was a pretty nice day for shopping, planting flowers,raking and general yard work. I pronounce myself satisfied, in spite of no biking.

Retired Professor said...

It's really not about the number, it's about the benefits that accrue while you are chasing that number. You're doing fine.