Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Crime report

It rained most of the night leaving the morning streets covered in puddles. As I checked the weather radar throughout the morning the outlook remained pretty depressing as the screen showed lots of green, lots of it moving vaguely in my direction. The official forecast said 80 percent chance of showers. To add to all of this unpleasantness today was too cold for bicycling in late June.

And yet at the time when I usually start my ride it wasn't actually raining. The radar at that point had no actual green where I live and the green blobs off to the south were not showing any particular movement in my direction.

The streets were far from dry but from the window it looked "sorta OK" (that's now an official category). I gave it a try, determined to stay near enough to home to allow me to flee for safety in the event that the predicted showers began (a distance which we now know to be about 4.5 miles).

It WAS too cold but it didn't rain.

The ride was pretty purposeful however. It was more of a chore than usual, I stayed pretty fixated on the task, getting the workout that I wanted. It wasn't much fun. I didn't see much of anything that looked like a photo.

I think this looks like the aftermath of a bicycle theft.I checked all of the nearby yards and spots where a kid might be after dropping that bicycle at the curb. No sign of anyone playing (it was cold and threatening to rain). Furthermore, that isn't really a kid's bicycle.I thought to stand it up off the street to at least get it out of traffic. My bicycle is one of those crabon fibre ones and I have become quite used to the extreme light weight and the ease of lifting. I had forgotten how heavy those old POS steel bicycles are. I leaned over off my bicycle and gave a one handed tug at the frame of this one and nearly injured myself.

Belatedly I considered that I should not interfere with the crime scene. I followed the example of the criminal and made my getaway.

By the way, really interesting weather video yesterday. In addition to the swell storm cloud depiction I got to hear the voice of Ron Winkel again. Ah . . . good times.

1 comment:

Retired Professor said...

What's the deal with the cables on that bike? Not the recommended configuration, for sure. Shifters on the stem?

Sometimes exercise is just hard work.